What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Wow Daniel.. beautiful produce.

Daniel W likes this.
  2. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I enjoyed your posts no-end, Daniël. You are quite the gardener, and keep proving it time after time.
    Those bumpy-pumpies really are something to see. What can you tell me about the flavour of them to help me understand how they taste?
    Sorry to hear about your health care program woes. What are those guys doing to you there anyway?

Pacnorwest and Melody Mc. like this.
  3. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Some tree removal yesterday will bring a lot more afternoon sun to parts of my upper flower gardens. Today is investigating how the plants that are there may do next year, and taking some notes in my journal about what to do in the spring. Osterich ferns and hostas have taken a beating, but with it being the end of the season, I'm hoping they will be fine in the spring. I need to plan on moving the hostas in the spring. The fencing has been removed ( it was puppy proofed 8 years ago and hard to get to) and now this part of the garden is accessible again. :)

Before

DSCN9327.JPG

After

DSCN9477.JPG

DSCN9475.JPG

Doghouse Riley, Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Mel, it looks neat and clean. Tragic about those birches, ach but sometimes things have to change. I like how your house is situated.

Logan and Melody Mc. like this.

Advertisement
  5. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Thank you Sjoerd.

My kids brought be 60 daffodil bulbs as a gift. :) Today we plant them in the tiered garden beside the house, amongst the rocks and beside some shrubs. The new sunlight from the trees gone should lend itself to some lovely spring flowers. We may also do some naturallizing along the perimeter of the green space and sneak in some dafs.

I made a spot for them in a bed to plant some garlic. They will plant it today, and then come back in the summer to collect their harvest. :)

Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  6. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Yesterday cleared a border of cosmos and Snapdragons, i was going to finish it today but it's been raining all morning.

7. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Presently, I can get away with doing nothing more than mowing and clearing a few leaves. Give it a few weeks and there will be a lot of leaves....

Melody Mc., Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  8. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Started planting wallflowers tulips and foxgloves in a border, haven't finished it started raining.

Sjoerd, Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Today thee bean plants came down and the vines were pilled onto their bed directly. The grass paths were mowed and strimmed. There were other areas that got strimmed as well.
    Now that my bees are gone work has begun on that area. The screen was removed and kilometres of bindweed roots were removed.
    D96B9A46-F05D-49D9-A4D9-29A9AA3824F5.jpeg

This beginning is piled-up by the wall of the greenhouse. I did not strim this place, it was all done by hand. The Bride forked the soil loose and I removed the roots and plants. The rack was removed and is back there behind the pile.

Melody Mc. and Doghouse Riley like this.
  10. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

@Sjoerd - that is a lot of work. Exciting new changes :)

Today I picked the last of the rhubarb for my oldest daughter. Some of it was still salvageable. I also harvested another bowl of strawberries - the result of an unexpected warm fall since the frosts of last week.

Logan and Sjoerd like this.
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yeah Mel, you’ve got me all jealous now with your late strawb harvest. If I want strawbs now, I have to visit the jam pantry.

Today we cleaned out half of the garden house (all the bee-related things). Suddenly there is an abundance of storage room.

Logan and Melody Mc. like this.
  12. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

This afternoon, the last pots on the deck were dumped onto the upper veggie garden and it was tilled. A little work to till with all of the tractor activity on the garden, but it is done for winter now.

First of the leaf collection happened. I tried going places I should not have gone with the lawn tractor and got stuck twice, but with some cursing ( it does help sometimes ...) and perseverance I unstuck myself. I was mowing/mulching three collectors of leaves when the wind hit 20km gusts....that took a bit to collect but I was able to retrieve most of it. :) Pretty excited to begin my first leaf mold pile. There is still lots to come down out of the trees.

When I was putting the tractor in the barn I spotted some Shaggy Mane mushrooms. They will be sauteed with dinner, and some fresh strawbs and homemade icecream for desert. ( sorry Sjoerd ;))

DSCN9483.JPG

DSCN9451.JPG

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yeah, sure Mel…just rub a liddle salt in the wound, why don’tcha.
    Sautéed champignons are really delish. You guys eat well there.

Melody Mc. and Logan like this.
  14. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Yesterday finished the border and started on another but ran out of time.

Pacnorwest, Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  15. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

I did a bit more in the other border, I made it a bit wider, trimmed the edges and weeded it.

Pacnorwest, Sjoerd and Melody Mc. like this.