What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Today is mulching the Saskatoons, Haskaps and Northern Blueberries for winter. This will drain the last of the rain barrell which will be tucked away for winter. The stand will be taken down and moved to the back of the barn so that it is not crushed by snow coming off of the stable roof.

Pacnorwest, Zigs and Logan like this.
  2. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

About two months ago I started to dig another patch over (with my trusty little lady fork) out on the field with a view to letting grass regrow, and sow lots of seed of flowers especially for bees and butterflies. I'm collecting a variety of seed all the time including field poppies which will only grow after the soil is turned. There will be some yellow rattle in with the seed mix to fight the grass back a bit (hopefully)
    It took ages to dig, especially as I started when the ground was still so dry from the drought, and with a touch of farmers lung to contend with and a crumbling left hip. Being a stubborn sod though I persevered, and today it was finished. I'll see about some photos tomorrow if I find time so you can have a look. The whole venture is an experiment, so fingers crossed !!

Logan and Melody Mc. like this.
  3. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Sounds great Tetters, it will look good.

Tetters likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

More patch mulching done today.

In the late afternoon we made hamburgers, had potato salad and blueberry cheesecake.

Melody Mc. and Logan like this.

Advertisement
  5. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Logan, I hope so - when it's an experiment it's a bit of a gamble, and I'm a novice when it comes to creating the space I'm aiming for. All I can do is hope for the best, expect the worst and take what comes :like:

6. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

DSC00968.JPG DSC00967.JPG DSC00969.JPG DSC00971.JPG DSC00972.JPG

As you can see the area needs raking over a bit but I've already planted a few of the new small hybrid buddleias for the butterfly brigade. The last photo shows a teasel I left for the birds which seeded itself already - they are a brilliant wildlife support with their little cups all the way up the stems which always hold moisture for any little bug that's thirsty.
    I'm planning where to sow the seeds by laying down fleece mats temporarily to indicate the areas so that I can plant a few things in between. With the necessary help from the Almighty I hope it all works - fingers crossed.

Melody Mc., Logan and Zigs like this.
  7. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

That sounds great Tetters, i watch this guy on YouTube. He goes on a bit but he's good.

8. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

@Tetters - that is a lot of work. I'm excited to see how it looks when your plants are blooming. It looks lovely!

9. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Today is a final garden wind down day. All garden ornaments will go into storage, the greenhouse will be emptied and heated soil cables removed and the last of the mulch for winter placed on the berry bushes. Hopefully some time at the end of the day for leaf raking and collection. :)

Tetters and Sjoerd like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

“A final garden wind-down day”— it sounds so….well…final.
    From over here, it sounded like you had a productive season. Were you chuffed with your results?

Melody Mc. likes this.
  11. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Usually here it is a time of gearing up rather than winding down. There are umpteen hedges to be pruned back and some trees need their canopies lifting, loads more weeding and clearing to do and mulching if there are sufficient hours in the day..... and we don't have much leaf fall just yet, so no leaf mould started at all. The grass is growing at an alarming rate too, you can almost see and hear it grow. Tut, no peace for the wicked :rolleyes: ..oh yes, and I forgot there is much to plant too while the soil is wet and still warm...

12. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Finished planting this border with wallflowers, tulips, foxgloves and polyanthus
    IMG_20221005_165428_(864_x_486_pixel).jpg

Melody Mc., Sjoerd and Tetters like this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am liking the looks of that, Loggie.

14. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Thank you Sjoerd, for next year I'm hoping that the foxgloves will flower the same time as the cosmos for a while, the colours should complement each other.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2022
    Pacnorwest, Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Fingers crossed for you. Your timing idea sounds good.

Pacnorwest, Melody Mc. and Logan like this.