What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Thanks Sjoerd
    Today i potted on 4 rose cuttings that i did last winter, they're all the same colour. It's a bit blurry because it was windy.
    IMG_20221007_125404_(864_x_1536_pixel).jpg

Melody Mc., Sjoerd and Tetters like this.
  2. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Back again! I misses reading and sharing.

Some harvest from this week.
    [​IMG]

The genetic dwarf miniature peach tree did very well this year. "Garden Gold"

[​IMG]

I canned some peaches.
    [​IMG]

And made some peach jam.
    [​IMG]

I'll try to catch up some more garden stuff and read more posts in a bit. Right now, Rufus is waiting for me to make a new batch of premium dog food.

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Bought a new plum tree and an Abelia shrub along with some bird food.

Just gorgeous, Loggie. What a gardener you are.

Daniel— great to see you back. What a cornucopias harvest you have shown here. It was beautiful to look at as well.
    Ahhhhh, peaches. We can only dream of growing them here. I am envious that you can simply grow them there. And the the jam and slices that you put-up. I am fond of peach halves and cottage cheese.

Yeah, all-in-all, a great posting.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022
    Daniel W, Logan and Melody Mc. like this.
  4. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

@Sjoerd - Congratulations on the new tennant to your Lottie. Is your new tree a five year old as hoped?
    I am pleased with the harvest this year, thank you. :) It turned out well.

@Daniel W - So great to see you posting again. What a fantastic harvest. How big does your peach tree get if it is a dwarf?

Advertisement
  5. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

@Logan - I will be living vicariously through your beautiful plants for the next seven months....I'm certain I can smell your soil from here. :) Wonderful job on the roses, congratulations!

Daniel W and Logan like this.
  6. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Harvested toms courgettes and some sweet potatoes. The big round one was 1200 grams.

Melody Mc., Tetters and Logan like this.
  7. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. Odif

Odif Young Pine

9. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

I finished sowing seed in the new plot yesterday, :sete_030:- there were about a million seeds and so I hope something works !! This freed me up to start cutting back some of the overgrown shrubs on one of the beds which was fun as it had become a thicket of wild rose which attacked unmercifully!! I shall persevere weather permitting in the morning :sete_018:

Logan, Sjoerd and Melody Mc. like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks Mel. The plum tree— The woman did not know exactly how old it was, but it was larger and stockier than the two year olds. It could well be five…or four. We will see how it performs next season.

Thanks Loggie.

Logan and Melody Mc. like this.
  11. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Melody, this "tree" might reach six feet tall if I let it. I want to keep it under 4 or 5 feet. Peach trees here are destroyed by leaf curl disease, which is carried by rain. I built a winter shelter for the genetic dwarf peaches, so no rain touches them. It works very well. I cant do that with normal size fruit trees.

These have genetic dwarf trait. The internodes are only about 1 mm. That's fine, but the flowers are that far apart too. So the baby peaches need massive thinning after fruit sets. I remove about 95%.

12. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Sjoerd, thank you very much. I like reading the posts here a lot, and adding mine. It gives me something to share,

The Galeux d'Eysines have a smooth texture orange flesh, pumpkin flavor. I like them a lot for pumpkin pie or pumpkin soup. I've been growing them from my saved seeds for a long time, but it's easy to find seeds for them in heritage seed catalogs.

I'll save the health stuff for another time, except his time around I needed an iron infusion, which helped quite a lot. Each day I feel a little stronger.

Sjoerd, Logan and Melody Mc. like this.
  13. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Today I used half of one of the Buttercup squashes in today's batch of dog food. The squash is just ingredient of many, and the batch makes a nine-day supply.

[​IMG]

Half of my face and the front of of my neck are still swollen from yesterday's encounter with yellow jackets. I was picking apples and forgot to check. Yellow jackets love eating fallen apples and love stinging anyone trying to harvest apples. I can't say that I enjoyed that encounter very much.

[​IMG]

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Mate, they got you good.
    Those yellowjackets are an irritant here as well. They used to get into my plums and bees. Apples too, if they were on the ground.

I could tolerate them in the plums hanging on the tree— I just have to be careful when harvesting. But in the bee hives…well, I had to get rid of them, one for one which cost me inspection time.

Do you recall last year or the year before, I got stung just below my eye by one of my honeybees and fell into the canal here? Well, my face looked quite a bit like yours then. So I can sympathise.

I am glad that you did not get stung right in your eye. Still, that foto is a jewel. Great shot.
    Mind how you go now.

BTW— lovely-looking squashes there. Not many seeds. I can see that you harvested them at exactly the right time.

15. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

All of the remaining sauce tomatoes, banana peppers, and some of the garlic and Jalapeños, went into some canned salsa. Plus a few other ingredients.

[​IMG]

It's been a good garden year. We cant have perfection with everything, but I feel very contented.