What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Anna Embry

Anna Embry New Seed

Fertilize some plants and pruning also.

Melody Mc., Daniel W and Logan like this.
  2. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Nothing today it's raining still.

Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.
  3. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

We too have begun the rainy season so my blown up leaves are ...next stage

4. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Continued chopping unknown shrubs mixed with brambles and thorny roses of unknown variety. One clump at a time. Two down and three to go. The green bin gets emptied tomorrow so I can refill it. My new clippers go through 2 inch stems like butter.:D
    Yesterday I cleared a portion of the driveway of big leaf maple leaves. Now I can once again tell where the roadway is. That’s a good thing.

Melody Mc., Logan, Daniel W and 2 others like this.

Advertisement
  5. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Yesterday I worked the day at one of my volunteer jobs. They had a potluck. I brought a chili with black beans and fried tofu crumbles (yes I'm West Coast LOL) which had a base made from my garden Roma tomato sauce, and contained garlic from the garden. Lucky for me, they hadn't emptied coffee grounds from the huge coffee machine, so I surreptitiously save those for soil building - a pound or two. I don't have to be sneaky about it, they get thrown away. I just feel a little embarrassed.

I emptied leaves from the truck. More need to be collected. I want one of these vacuum cleaner trucks to make it easier.

34555CCA-861B-4BF6-95EB-1AB82509CBA7.jpeg

Until then, it's hand raking.

Today wont be much in garden. Delivering senior meals in the morning. Might do more garden cleanup in afternoon.

6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

….but do they mulch the leaves into tiny bits also? Ahhhhhhh…..

Melody Mc., Daniel W, Jewell and 2 others like this.
  7. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Still taking care of the odds and ends outdoors. Had an inch of slushy snow so I need to get my butt in gear and finish up.

Melody Mc., Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  8. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Nothing today it's raining again, looks like it's going to be for a long time, but there's not much to do now.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  9. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Yes! More leaves! It was very windy, but I managed to fill the truck. Truckload #4.

I checked the overwintering pepper plants. Not much going on.

03CF4BDE-F9A8-4B6A-B9CE-5D0B88C1E6EE.jpeg

The stems remain green. The cayenne does have some buds. I left leaves on one, an early Jalapeño, for some reason.

1FC9E7A7-FCCE-4FDD-9D2D-E792391A054A.jpeg

They need to be very slow. I don't want real growth until April or May.

There were some whiteflies, or something, on the soil for one plant of the ten I'm trying to overwinter.

D0432C2C-6706-4EF4-8929-723FCA37080C.jpeg

I sprayed the soil with this stuff, then with some neem. I don't know if that will help.

124F371D-31C2-4926-B88B-2986D04BC2FA.jpeg

I also pulled some weeds and spread some leaves where I hope they dont blow away.

I bought these while at the hardware store, and planted them in the border.

252C8D88-401B-4F84-BDF0-FA33077CBF90.jpeg

If it's cold in the morning, I'll burn some logs with dried chicken bones, in the woodstove. The ashes will become fertilizer.

10. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

@Daniel W i hope that your chillie plants make it through the winter, I don't keep mine i collect seeds and start them in march. Those bulbs look good and i'll look forward to seeing them in the spring.

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  11. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Those English bluebells are great. Our woods are full of them. Beware though of the Spanish ones as they are invasive. They appreciate a shady environment.(a bit like me) :smt020

Melody Mc., Sjoerd and Logan like this.
  12. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Over wintering the planted hanging baskets, put a lot more leaves on the borders in the back garden.

Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The pepper plants are looking good. Not sure about those little white insects. They do make me think about whitefly, but they just seem longer than ours. Nice score on the bulbs. Tetters is right though about the Spanish invaders. Keep an eye out for those. There were some in our lottie when we took it over 25 years ago…and I still have them. At least they are all out of the veggie plots at least now.

I would remove the pot with the white insects totally from the same room. Out, out damned spot…errr flies!

Melody Mc. and Logan like this.
  14. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Daniel, what are you using in those pots as ''soil/compost'' ? Does it consist of leaves etc or home made composted ingredients ? Do these creatures jump ? ,I ask as I had very similar thoughts to those Sjoerd had, and for now would move the pot well away from the others, although they could just be scavengers like springtail which clean stuff up and don't actually harm anything.
    It is always good to try to identify insect populations, as they can be so beneficial, and we don't want to destroy our allies. :worried:

Melody Mc. likes this.
  15. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Today I cleand out the downstairs wood stove of ash and spread it on the lower garden. After this I'll keep the ashes until spring to spread on top of the snow. It attracts the sun and help it melt faster, and gets tilled in before planting. I just can't go too crazy - ash is like anything, and there can be too much of a good thing :)

First seed order was finished today through an heirloom seed company in Northern Alberta. The second is almost complete. The second is from my "go to" seed company in Northern Manitoba that only sells items that cater to cold climate gardening.

My shovel and I have a date with the front of the greenhouse this morning, once it warms up a bit. I want access to my coldframe/greenhouse sooner this spring. Usually I have to wait until I can move snow away from it with the front end loader. The burms from the plough truck have blocked it in the past. This winter though, I have been doing the ploughing so far, and have managed to keep the burms off of the upper garden, and away from the greenhouse. Blowing snow freezing in the door frame is proving to be an issue. When it warms up in a couple of days, my temporary fix will be to leave one side of the door open, and TuckTape a plastice drop sheet/doorway over it.

I'm pretty sure I could climb through the back window and did consider it last year....but that could get tedious and very embarrasing. Getting stuck could be a long term dilema until someone came along. ;):p

With the plastic over one door way, I can still get in and out even if the sliding doors freeze up. I'm pretty excited about this....it means spinach and lettuce can be planted much sooner in the early spring. :)

Logan, Daniel W and Sjoerd like this.