What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I finally gave away the pencil hollies to my aunt. I just do not have enough sun in areas where they might grow. I rescued 10 of 12 but 2 were dead imo though she thinks the roots will come back. Mostly still cleaning and raking after winter, picking up sticks and putting out compost. I managed to trim the cascade rose, but mainly because it had cascaded onto some of the pencil hollies.

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  2. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Dirt Pencil Holly’s are great plants. I’m sure your Aunt really appreciates them. I have an a few and they are in a.m. sun and afternoon shade doing great.
    ooo I hate trimming roses. Hope you have chainmail for protection. I have a pair of suede log gloves , still need to cover other areas. Be careful if your rose has thorns… there is such a thing as thorn arthritis caused from ….
    u guessed it thorns…

https://www.medicinenet.com/plant_thorn_synovitis/article.htm

To cold , windy and the marine layer of fog today is thicker than frog snot.:whistling:

Sjoerd and Logan like this.
  3. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Melody, what are sproinks?

Pacnorwest likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Pac I am acquainted with this all too intimately. My Bride as well. She lives for the day that my rose does not recover from a pruning. Chuckle. The last time she had one of these knuckle pricks, I thought that she was going to chop the rose down herself.

Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.

Advertisement
  5. MIKE ALLEN

MIKE ALLEN Seedling

Did nothing in the garden. Had bad night, no sleep due to bad bout of colitis. 0530 hrs, loud bang outside. Thought it was a wheelie bin being kicked around. Turned out to be some woman driver arguing with her boyfriend/boss. Suddenly she realised she had run out of road. She hit a 4x4 2.5 ton Lexus parked behind my car. On this road the speed limit is 20MPH. The Lexus ended up all four wheels on the pavement, the nose now being through the tailgate. Her car stopped some 2-300 yards down the road. All three vehicles write-offs.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    Logan, Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.
  6. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

MIKE… what a rude awakening… car accident lots of wild bumps in the night err a mornin . I hope all the cars will be compensated for. I bet alcohol was involved..
    So sorry about colitis ..its a terrible miserable disease…hope ur better this am…

There is something very evil about roses…:smt074

Logan you really don’t know what Sproinks are? Everybody knows what Sproinks are.:smt020

Logan likes this.
  7. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I really love seeing your orchids. And your very cool coffee table :)

8. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Hey Sweet Friend :) I was being silly, and sproinks are little bits of green poking up from the dirt. The first sproink of spring :)

9. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

I get a big hive from every rose bush prick. Not my friends. Yet...I seem to forget the big gloves when I get to the "I Must do this now! moment of pruning. " Takes forever to get rid of them with a bit of grief.

Sjoerd, Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  10. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Thanks and that's ok, I'm afraid i don't get jokes or sillyness.:)

Pacnorwest and Melody Mc. like this.
  11. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Not doing much outside, it's still too cold and frosty. Checked on the lupin seeds and I've got 6 coming up so far.
    @MIKE ALLEN hope that you feel better soon.

Pacnorwest likes this.
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You know Mel, I get plenty of thorn pricks, but they leave no soreness or redness. However, when it happens on a joint, that is where the acute reaction occurs.
    As I said, the Bride has no time for the reaction and can put a sailor to shame…if you know what I mean. I would remove the rose if it wasn’t so lovely and smell so wonderful.

13. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Still nothing today it's very cold and the ground is still frozen.

I once had a rose thorn go straight into my thumb nail, the pink bit. Couldn't get it out so i just watched it, as the nail was growing the thorn moved further down until it came right down and then i got it out. Had no reaction to it at all and it didn't hurt.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2023
    Sjoerd likes this.
  14. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Riley the link doesn’t work here got redirect notice mabe different countries. I know what you mean. I have one like it they are handy for high and hard to reach areas. I prefer a telescope light weight chainsaw battery op. My joints are a bit tricky , pulling on the rope is tough on my joints…working too much in the garden .. years of pruning I guess.
    Your garden always look impeccable well designed and a beautiful combination at many all seasonal plants.

It will be a joy to see your garden this spring..:smt026the wisterias …it’s amazing how you have trained that vine all these years. It’s a constant battle but we’ll worth it.:rosy:

15. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Nothing today it's still very cold, foggy and frozen ground, if i did do something it wouldn't be long before i came back in.

Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.