What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

@Melody Mc. great posting about your hotdog rolls and your doggie by the fire, ha ha.

@Pacnorwest do tell us what that evergreen is draped across the front of your garage! Is it a Serbian spruce?

2. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

The tree growing across the garage doors is a weeping blue atlas.

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks Pac. I find it such an interesting-looking plant.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
    Logan likes this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

My goodness I looked up Blue Atlas cedar on the Web, and they look like a tree version of an Afghan hound!

Advertisement
  5. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Shifted a few leaves from this in the front garden.

[​IMG]

"> [​IMG]

Back of the border.

">

Half-filled the green bin again.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They were still falling as I was clearing them.

Managed to step on the bag of my Grisley garden vac. as I was carrying it round to the front to finish off the job. It pulled off the securing strap on the bottom of the bag, leaving a small hole. So wasn't able to use it and it was starting to rain. Had to take a needle and thread to it, it's OK now.

Still a lot of leaves to come down.

6. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Nothing today it's raining again.

Melody Mc. and Willowisp0801 like this.
  7. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I have now officially joined the club!

8. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

When my granddaughter and I got home she saw the raspberry and blackberry patch. She asked what happened to it. She's been sick the last two days so she didn't see what I did Sunday.

Melody Mc., Logan and Daniel W like this.
  9. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Welcome to the club, got rain showers today and tomorrow.

Melody Mc. and Willowisp0801 like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I worked in the rain, taking down the last of the Clematis vines. The veggie beds appreciated the extra blanket layer. Fed the birds.
    It is good to be home and thinking about the SpagBol that will be on offer tonight.

11. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

My 60 crocus bulbs arrived today so i planted them in-between the polyanthus, could have done with more but have to wait till next year.
    I phoned jparkers to see when my other Tulip and hyacinth bulbs will arrive and they said that they have just received them and they'll be on there way soon in a couple of days.

12. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

@Sjoerd, you are well on the way to putting your garden to bed for the winter.

@Logan, those crocuses will be such a joy in a few short months! So will the tulips and hyacinths. A great thing about fall, planting spring bulbs :stew1:
    :stew2:

@Willowisp0801 those blackberries and raspberries are a lot of work! But you will love the berries next summer! I am just beginning the cleanup and pruning for mine too.

I removed the frosted chili pepper plants from the 4x8 foot and 4x6 foot planters. Also did just a little pruning on raspberries and dwarf apple trees. It's a start.

13. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

Yes, the last 2 years (this year and last) I've had so many! I did notice several times, when I'd come out in the early mornings to water the guy across the alley would have his workers waiting. They'd be very close to the bushes.... I just look the other way, if they want a snack before work, it's not like I had an under abundance. If I were fluent in Spanish, I would know what they say. I can read it better than speak it. I don't know why.

The raised beds at the school are covered. I had an adolescent and an upper elementary student cover their beds with leaves this morning. The garlic was already coming up. We found either onions or chives in the upper el's garden, left from the last class that had that bed (whenever that was). When they were pulling the weeds (and there were a lot) it started smelling oniony so I had to find the plants and show them to the kids. They'll have onions/chives and garlic next year. By then I'll know which it is, onions or chives.

Melody Mc., Sjoerd and Logan like this.
  14. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Thank you @Daniel W you're doing well with your preparations for the winter.

@Willowisp0801 your doing well with the raised beds for the kids.

Melody Mc. likes this.
  15. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

It's actually stopped raining and we've blue sky and sunshine!
    But everywhere is soaking.

I got into one of the wisterias this afternoon, the one between the tea-house and the shed.
    This is the one that gets the most sun, the leaves had started to yellow, so I stripped it.
    I do this every year around this time. I also prune off any unnecessary growth at the same time.

[​IMG]

The main prune I do between Christmas and New Year. All the blooms come from "heads." I'll reduce the number of branches, mostly the old wood and those at the back.

I managed to collect most of the leaves, using a stiff yard brush. I'd normally go over the lawn and the path with my Flymo Ultraglide mower, it has a big fan behind the blades and is great for picking up leaves, but it was too wet to use it. Even my Grizzly vac. was struggling.

[​IMG]

Job done!

[​IMG]

There's still this lot from next door's garden to come down. They're a pain but are easier to, "mow up."

[​IMG]

It'll be a while before the other wisterias start dropping their leaves.

The one on this pergola I can manage to strip with a step-stool when it's ready.

[​IMG]

Same with this.
    [​IMG]

But this and the one along the side of the house, I'll need the ladder.

">

The four heathers I bought last year are doing very well. These troughs are a pain to clear the leaves that get under them, I have to remove the pots and drag them out.

[​IMG]

They are already starting to bloom.

[​IMG]

Last of the apples..

Not really, they are the fruit from the ornamental quince we have along the side fence. These are some I missed removing in September and have fallen off. They'll get binned.

[​IMG]

I've moved the acer palmatum Taylor into the little room in back of the garage where we have a couple of freezers. It'll be a lot warmer in there. I did that last year. I don't want to risk losing it like I did the previous two we had over successive winters. It doesn't look like this now, it's already lost its leaves over the last two weeks.

[​IMG]

More rain expected tomorrow!