What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

@Pacnorwest thanks for the chainmail glove suggestion. I will see if Amazon has my size. The thought of that makes me shudder and I am accident prone. Also, thinking about it does increase awareness. One of my coworkers lost three fingers in a chop- saw. When I was 17 I worked in a dormitory kitchen and sliced a thumb in a meat slicer but didn't lose it. Sometimes my enthusiasm outpaces my good sense.

Some persimmons do great here. I have a Japanese persimmon called "Shiro". It is so-so on production and growth. Great flavor. My best performer is a hybrid Asian-American persimmon, developed in Ukraine, "Nikita's Gift". This is from my orchard.

IMG_7228.jpeg

This is Saijo.
    IMG_7232.jpeg

More oblong. Nikita's Gift is more round.

They are smaller than grocery store Hachiyas and Fujis. Also, the grocery store persimmons are good when crunchy. Mine have to be super- ripe to even be edible - so soft the insides are like pudding. Then the flavor is ambrosia - like apricot soaked in honey with a touch of cinnamon. Other than fresh eating, I don't know what to do with the fruits. Very pretty tree. The fruit stays on after the leaves fall.

American persimmon species grows here too but I don't think they are worth it. Mine is not productive, and the fruits are tiny. Most persimmons are male ir female, so you need two trees, but Nikita's Gift and some others are fine without a male, and seedless if no male is around.

2. Clay_22

Clay_22 Young Pine

Going to stop at local nursery after work to pick some melon seeds. Tomorrow is melon and cukes seed starting. Also plan on getting soil ready for my lettuce transplants that I can put in soil tomorrow also.

3. Clay_22

Clay_22 Young Pine

@Daniel W your seedlings are looking awesome !

4. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

@AAnightowl your welcome, there's more videos on YouTube about it.

Melody Mc., AAnightowl, Oreti and 3 others like this.

Advertisement
  5. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

It was nice today so i did some weeding, have to pull up the stinging nettles they do spread with their roots.

6. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

It was Dr who, it's just the shape of the bins, it's not a brand name.

Melody Mc., Pacnorwest, Oreti and 2 others like this.
  7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Loggie—That is what we call our bin as well….Exterminate…Exterminate…….

Daniel— those look very, very nice.

8. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

It was gorgeous today! I trimmed the grapes, dug up strawberries to move what they're in, dug up some raspberries to make a clearer path and moved my rose outside from the garage. I see the "fall" lettuce seeds are coming up.....so much for having fresh lettuce last fall before the first frost.

Sjoerd and Logan, my kids grew up with Dr Who. I have a t-shirt with K-9 laying on top of a TARDAS shaped like Snoopy's dog house, that my middle son bought. When we were in lock down (2020) they both sent me a link of a Dalek telling everyone to stay inside.

9. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I have a compost back in the corner of my yard. I put garden/yard wast back there; but no food waste because of rats. I have three worm bins in my basement that my food waste goes in as well as egg cartons and other paper items.

Melody Mc., Logan, Pacnorwest and 2 others like this.
  10. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Had a great day out in the garden and got a lot done, so feeling a bit happier now. We've been out so much lately that things needing to be done in the garden were way behind schedule this year.

More weeding was done in preparation for bulb planting and some direct seed sowing to be done tomorrow.

The majority of seedlings have now been moved out of the greenhouse and into one of the big lean-to coldframes.

All the potted Dahlias and Fuchsias were watered and had a day out in the fresh air.
    I've been trying to find the potted Dahlias a permanent home in the borders but so far only found room for 3. I really must resist the urge to propagate any more this year.
    All the Dahlas left to overwinter in the borders are now spending their days uncovered but still require covering back up at night for another few weeks.

Potted up some Hosta cuttings from last year and they have now joined all the others out on the little east patio.

Emptied out lots of flower pots that had very deceased looking soggy/ mushy ' twigs' that were planted last year with what I had optimistically hoped would've turned out to healthy cuttings by now.:D Sadly not to be.

Looking forward to another whole day out there tomorrow.:like:

11. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Today's harvest, Garlic Chives. These will be chopped and used as a dumpling (jiaozi) filling. A big favorite around here.

IMG_6564.jpeg

That makes alliums the first two crops of the year - scallions from Egyptian Walking Onions, and Garlic Chives.

I think Rhubarb will be next.

Today I planted two more rows of Red Wethersfield onion seedlings and a large (25 gallon) container of bunching onion seedlings. And some lettuce seeds.

I have a pot of Red Wethersfield seedlings remaining but I don't know where to plant them.

12. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

That urge is strong here too. I may have to resort to leaving some on the curb with a "free plants" sign again.

13. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

IMG_7707.jpeg IMG_7715.jpeg IMG_7689.jpeg IMG_7579.jpeg Sectioned off another section of the pasture need to spray toxic weeds. But it all of a sudden clouded up and will wait til tomarrow.
    Trimmed the dwarf maples back from the front entry the other needed a bit of cleaning up.
    Mowed another section of the pasture. Found a mole and set a trap - major bummer. But did not see any deer scat in any of the pastures.
    And limbed up the deco cherry trees they are in full bloom. I used my battery op recip saw.

Daniel did you find a pair of chainmail loves in your size?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2024
  14. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Pac, yes I think so. We'll see when it comes. Thanks for recommending that. I tend to push ahead and darn those torpedoes, full speed ahead! But age and various misadventures seem to have given me a little more common sense (I hope)

That row of cherry trees... and the entire scene there. Beautiful work of art! It really is worthy of framing.

15. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Thanks for your kind encouraging words . I have a pic I took of the barn from another side of the pasture where there is a rainbow over the house and barn . I blew it up to poster size and hung it up. A once in a life time memory.

When garden season comes and the sun is shinning I turn into a solar light and need to get that sunshine to recharge my batteries. Always enjoy the outdoors.
    Since you mentioned accidents well…here’s a funny one… I just got my brand new riding tractor and out mowing and wound up stuck in the pond. I hit the gas pedal instead of the break on a new model. Not nearly as serious and your finger incident …ouch. Another time the ladder fell down on a windy day , I was stuck up on the roof. Another…a tree branch was frozen solid across the driveway I took out the torch to melt the ice to free the branch, it fell on my head. Another time I was out to feed the horses during winter rains wearing my mud boots. I stepped in a puddle of muck that sucked the boots right off my feet. Yuck ! I think the only time I was hurt was when I tripped in/over a gopher hole and fell which dislocated my elbow and shoulder but saved the new plant I was holding. I’m sure we could do a whole thread just on this subject.