What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Clay_22 garden planting after work …at least we know your stayin outta trouble… hehe…garden chores are a constant in spring - fall.

Oreti, Jewell and Logan like this.
  2. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

@Pacnorwest Even doing that I can only try to stay out trouble LOL

3. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Sjoerd yes it's a verbena bonariences and i grew it from seed. Never had any luck with self sown ones even though i leave the old flowers on them.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Loggie, I especially like these flowers. It is one of those plants that can fit into most gardens and whether they are planted with purpose or you have let them pop-up where they will…they can add some playful beauty that asks for the attention of those who view the garden. What a plant !

Oreti, Logan, Jewell and 1 other person like this.

Advertisement
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Cleaned up the geranium collection in the greenhouse and planting dahlias in pots.

IMG_9650.jpeg

IMG_9652.jpeg

Oreti, Logan and Jewell like this.
  6. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Peppers planted and I managed to stay out of mischief @Pacnorwest

7. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Cleaned up the basement surplus pots. Separated the ones to donate. Need to finish the area with a good sweep but it’s a good start. Potted up some stray hostas for the porch and will plant out later.

Oreti, Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  8. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Jewel I am proud of you for getting the pots donated. I gotta get to that done too. I may just move all the pots out to the barn. It seems like every time I get rid of them the next year I needed it. I admit to becoming a planter hoarder.

Oreti, Logan and Jewell like this.
  9. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Sjoerd yes they're great plants, this year they did over winter because it was mild, but the year before they didn't because of the bad winter.
    I grow some in pots under the kitchen window and I've had the hummingbird moth come to visit.

Sjoerd, Oreti and Jewell like this.
  10. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

I've been that busy lately, I've hardly had time to care for, or appreciate our garden, as I've been visiting my wife twice a day who has been in hospital with osteoporosis for five weeks.

But I've had a look around this morning, before the final survey by a firm who will be installing a stairlift for her when she returns, whenever that may be.
    I've been taking photos in to her as she's been missing the garden when it's been at its best.

Anyway..

Our Sambucas is doing well in its centre bed, as it does each year. I prune it towards the end of the year so it doesn't get too big."

[​IMG]

The surrounding azaleas have long finished blooming.

[​IMG]

This acer has already had "one haircut" as it was touching one of the tree azaleas in pots. It'll get more during the year.
    [​IMG]

I've re-secured the bamboo at the bottom of the garden. There are lateral wires at three levels across its length to stop it flopping. We like it as from any area near the house it looks like a forest, despite the roots not being further forward than nine inches from the back fence.

[​IMG]

The canopy is really thick.

[​IMG]

Clematis are doing well, but the planting in front of those on the side fence, hide some.

Here's one behind our big tortoise shell rhodo, which is just starting to come out. It's always the last to flower.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sjoerd, Pacnorwest, Logan and 3 others like this.
  11. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Dug up a 20 year old lavender plant that has just died and planted a new one in it's place.

Frank, Sjoerd, Oreti and 1 other person like this.
  12. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Riley Nice clematis as well as the perfectly groomed garden….it’s a beautiful passion for many years as you always put a great deal of thought and care into everything you do.

Sending blessings your way and healing prayers. It’s not easy when a close family member is ill. It takes a lot of energy to cope. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

13. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

VB always overwinters well down here, I just cut it back in November, it's also is a prolific selfseeder too. I've only ever had to sow once about 7 years ago now all I do is dig them up and rehome them to where I want them :D

Carried on with the planting out today .This year all the Geraniums are in the raised patio borders.. I still have about 10 left to squeeze in .

Concentrated on the long border that runs the lenght of our garden and is the worse for it's clay content. It's so very dry and rock hard at the moment and has been a bit of a challenge today. I just dig bigger planting holes and fill with compost and Perlite then the plant. We've lived here ( on an old clay quarry site) for 42 years now and the rest of the garden has been worked on and amended over the years but for some reason this far side is not being compliant to our efforts. Just rock hard yellow/ orange clay!. Grrrrrt!!!

Last edited: May 21, 2024
    Jewell, Sjoerd, Logan and 1 other person like this.
  14. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Oreti clay soil is a nightmare. I tried amending the soil for a few years but then just had sump truck loads of mushroom compost delivered for raised beds. It seem the gophers and moles like to help till the soil.
    Your garden paths are really nice - well..exceptional as is your mature and lovely garden. Your geraniums are a good addition for summer color.

Sjoerd and Oreti like this.
  15. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Sending my best wishes for your wife @Doghouse Riley . I have Osteoporosis of the spine and at times suffer incredible pain , how your wife copes if it's in more joints I cannot imagine. So painfully debilitating.
    Sending positive ,healing, easing vibes to her.