What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Oreti.. so sorry you suffer from osteoporosis it is a serious condition. As much as we all endure aging it’s the pain and management that can sometimes take over our lives. Sending healing vibes to you and I am grateful that you share your experiences and journey coping with daily pain , it is exhausting. Big gentle hugs :heart: sent your way.

Jewell, Logan, Sjoerd and 1 other person like this.
  2. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Thanks @Pacnorwest ..yes I've always suffered back issues so in the end I was sent for a Dexa Scan back in 2011 and that was when they discovered it. Now have them fairly regularly, last one was in Nov. I try not to take meds but do have strong painkillers on standby. Also take prescribed Calcium twice a day and vitamin D3 all year. I'm always outside and can't understand my body's lack of maintaining healthy vitamin levels. Dread to think how I'd be if I was an indoor person!!:shrug: Gardening is so beneficial in so many ways.:like::stew2:

3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Thanks for your kind words.

Jewell, Logan, Oreti and 1 other person like this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Pac— I liked seeing your greenhouse shots I felt right at home.

Riley— it was such a pleasure seeing your gardens/back yard with the plants.
    Best wishes for your wife and the osteoporosis. Hopefully she will soon be back home with you sooner rather than later.

Oreti — you have been a busy girl, haven’t you.

Advertisement
  5. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Being busy keeps me from causing trouble @Sjoerd .:chuckle:

6. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Nothing in the garden today. Chilly and rainy.

I did return the containers of strawberry plants to the deck. I had moved them to be away from the roofers activities. With that almost done, I can move things back to where they belong.

Jewell, Logan, Sjoerd and 2 others like this.
  7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Out 3 times in the rain and mud , mow mow mow , found a gopher trying its best to infiltrate my turf. Not while I’m on patrol. Bam !

8. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Sjoerd .. nice :) ..you liked my little greenhouse. It’s tiny but have started tons of seeds over the years.

Sjoerd, Logan and Oreti like this.
  9. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

@Doghouse Riley all the best for your wife and hope that she'll be home soon.

Jewell, Oreti, Pacnorwest and 2 others like this.
  10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Yeah Pac— it looks so nice … and the setting it is in. I have found that a greenhouse is unmissable with my style of gardening, plus if you are just that few steps too far from the house when that surprise shower sudden pours down— it is a convenient place to get out of the rain. So yeah, your greenhouse has charm.

11. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Not going to do anything today it's raining and it's going to be all day.
    But yesterday i had to dig up a 20 year old lavender plant, it was dying and i planted another lavender in it's place, got more space for some tulips now.
    :headbang:

Last edited: May 22, 2024
  12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Cut the yellowing leaves off the fading daffs in one bed— whew, that looks better! Now we can give the bed a proper clean and find some perkplanten to fill it with.
    This particular bed is at the edge of one of our popular sitting places, so we will see the little bloomers frequently. There are daffs over the whole flower garden so there is a lot of work to do there.

Further, we mowed and strimmed the grass paths. It was a good day to do that because rain is coming.

The Bride fished more reed out of the sloot. That is always a nasty and backbreaking job.

strengthened our third open compost pen and carted about half og the content off to the club’s compost bins. Two of our bins are totally full. Speaking of compost bins— it was time to turn the compost again to mix it up and get some oxygen down in there. We noticed some ash and heat in the middle of he bin. This exercise is something we do often.

We cleared the remaining bed of much of the mulch, making it ready for the courgette plants and a cucumber rack. We also mixed-in some rotted horse manure.

…there just aren’t enough hours in a day.

13. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Been out on Slug/ Snail patrol and have sent them packing into the fields opposite our place.

Started to clear up another border in the optimistic hope of finding more much needed planting places. It's surprising the space that becomes available once all the old Bluebells are gathered up!!!!
    Pulled out all the to be planted out plants from their sheltered positions in the hope that we will get some rain at some point today to water them.

Jewell, Sjoerd, Logan and 2 others like this.
  14. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Maintenance in the garden today. After a wild winter garden ornaments are leaning every witch way but loose… and took down a 25’ tree that the gophers ate the roots. Lost another 24 year old tree peony , yeap gophers and ready to set up the mass destruction weapon..it’s full on war with a single gopher from hell.
    Repairs to the gate and back garden fence. Sunny so far hope it lasts.

Jewell, Oreti, Sjoerd and 1 other person like this.
  15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Trimmed the hedge and did some serious weed and flower removal from the front fence. More weeding.