What have you done today in the Garden?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by razyrsharpe, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Bee stuff.

Checked hives and made some adjustments. Cleaned the bottoms of two of the hives.

One hive I moved out to a place in a village in the countryside. It was a special place that the municipal government made available to us as part of a bee-friendly scheme that involved the strip of land with a fence and bulb and seed planting in the area. With this new place I will be able to keep more bees. I am happy about this.

2. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Found I still have one hive of bees left. So happy! So I fed them and hope I get them through the Spring.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We checked our hives yesterday--both are doing well and we switched to 1-to-1 sugar syrup for feeding. I managed to get some more onions planted, and yanked a few weeds. Sixteen Celebrity tomato plants go in this morning before the rain hits.

4. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Ain't done nothin'. Snow again tomorrow! Shoulda oughta planted pea's today! Ground still frozen two inches below the surface. Imabout to get right warm under the collar.

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I'm right there with you FBG, We should be planting on Monday, but I am thinking it ain't happenin'! I picked up a pot off the asphalt today that had potting mix in it from last year and it was still frozen inside. And it has warmed up here, just not enough.

6. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Trimmed three sword ferns back and walked around the garden looking at everything I should be doingq :(

7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Still snow here. All our paths are now paths of ice. Very tricky to walk on. Time to get the sand out.

8. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

This is what we had until yesterday. It was 5 inches think and like frozen lava flow. I fell 3 times, killing 2 and half dozen eggs even being very careful.

Now it's all gone. I am glad.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Barb...owwww, owww, owww!. I hope you are okay. That feels awful. Get a pair of wintertrax and keep them on your outdoor shoes. There is no way I could go do the chickens without them. Mine look like a set of rubber over-slippers and they have screw heads in the bottoms of them. The ice here has been terrible, too. We still have some in the chicken yard and I have to take my chances on that or in the mud....I hate mud more than I hate ice.
    There are a couple different brands, too. There is another one that has what looks like coils of wire for the traction. Whatever you can find is a good investment. I actually found mine (two pairs/one of each brand) at Goodwill. I gave the other pair to my friend who has a bad hip, lives on a hill and has a big husky wolfy looking dog....she needed them as much as me.

10. waretrop

Yes Ma'am, I should have put my cheap ones on. They would have been better than what I did.

Funny thing, I didn't hurt myself at all.

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Began hardening-off my broad beans.
    Bought at Salix caprea 'pendula' all loaded with katjes.

It is primarily for the bees, but it looks nice as well.

12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Barb & Carolyn-- I walk with a friend every Sun AM. We were just talking about getting some cleats of some sort. She had a terrible fall on Monday, feet slipped out from under her & she hit her head. Got a concussion.

We agreed this AM that it was time to get some cleats.

Glad to hear you are ok Barb (excepting the eggs!).

13. waretrop

Thank you all. Barb had no ill effects from the falls and the eggs were fried and frozen for the hubbies breakfast. Makes less work for me in the next week. :rolleyes:

14. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yesterday early afternoon I got potatoes planted and some Asiatic Lilies in the ground then got irritated with myself about how much there is left to do before hot weather sets in and how little I have done so far. AAAARRRGGGHHH!

15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Toni, don't be irritated with yourself--this year has been particularly challenging. I have peas just coming up, when they ought to be at least a foot tall, and the spring spinach is just breaking through. My paperwhites got frost-bitten, and the wafer ash trees lost their first set of leaf buds. Fortunately, they are older trees and will recover, but I am still mourning those little pink buds :'( .