What I have been doing instead of gardening

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Jewell, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I retired last June and took a big breather after two interesting work years. I had started at the beginning of those two years planning on what type of travel vehicle I would like. Experimented with car camping. It didn’t work for me. I looked into all sorts of small campers. I didn’t want to spend that much and none were quite what I wanted. Then I heard about converting a cargo trailer into a caravan. The planning began. I finally settled on an aluminum one with windows installed and barn doors. A long wait proceeded its arrival due to having to travel to pick it up and snow was fierce that winter. My little caravan has been personalized inside and out to my current desires. (That seem to be ever changing)

I traveled to Arizona, Nevada, California and Oregon. I just finished a trip to Idaho, and will be going up to Vancouver Island the middle of June. Throw in some other family vacations and cruises and all I can say is that life is very, very good.

Here are some pictures of my little caravan. Everything I need in a 5x8 foot space. Tiny living at its best.

5B65794B-4BB7-4E02-A078-1C09CD445D3E.jpeg Brownlee Campground, Idaho

94449DE2-7475-40E3-AD5F-39F05FDB7A1A.jpeg
    Valley of Fire Canpground, Nevada

D3E8904B-858F-4E7F-8F8C-BC5F22B7BFAE.jpeg
    Oregon coast. First time I got to camp with electrical hookup. Immediate modifications were made once I got home. I have solar, but not practical in the rainy months of the Pacific Northwest. 4E1CF249-7DDD-4B4E-947A-C3082526DDFA.jpeg
    Looking in the Dutch door.

F2CD4DCA-5B44-43F8-A525-A0C84B0061D6.jpeg
    Looking out from the back. Have changed up the curtains, dishes and dish area and my drawers for storage since this photo. It has definitely come to feel like home with the months of travel I have spent in it. Viva Retirement!

toni, Frank, Sjoerd and 3 others like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. EJ
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Kay
      Replies:
      Views:

3. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

That is a wonderful way to travel. Wish I can do that here! Maybe in the States one day!

Jewell likes this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

We spent about 15 years in a motor home of various sizes over the years. Just went from lake to lake in our area ! Met a lot of people and enjoyed it while hubby was able! Now its just good to be in one spot.

Jewell likes this.
  5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Wow Jewell, you HAVE been busy!! Your camper is adorable and does look so much like something you would design! So glad to hear you are enjoying yourself in retirement. I am jealous!

Jewell likes this.

Advertisement
  6. DeepWoods

DeepWoods In Flower

7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I really love the way you've decorated inside and out. Looks like the perfect way to go travelling and so comfy into the bargain!! A project worth every minute spent on it.

Jewell likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Very nice camper, Jewell. You are going to have an enormous amount of fun with that.

Jewell likes this.
  9. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Your caravan is the definition of cosy Jewell. You can have a different window view every day while sitting on your sofa, reading a good book with a nice cup of tea. Really cool! Thanks for sharing your personal space with us!

Jewell likes this.
  10. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    KK, my caravan is a bit unusual but I didn’t realize you were unable to travel in this manner. You do get around though and you would love seeing the Four corners area of the US. That is where I want to take my sweetie when he retires. (It’s a very scenic area of Utah, Arizona, Colorado and New Mexico)

Mart, it is good to get out and see and meet all the wonderful people and places in the world. It truly helps my spirit. It is equally good to return to a home base and a lovely family.

CM, DW and Eileen, the caravan truly is in my bohemian style in a 5x8 space. I have to admit it wasn’t easy retiring but am slowly getting into the lifestyle :rolleyes: Building out the inside and decorating the caravan is as much fun to me as the traveling. It is amazing how much I have tweeked the inside for comfort and practicality since starting the project.

Sjoerd and Frank, lots of travel is good for perspective and taking your home along with you for those little familiar comforts is priceless. Getting ready to be on the road next week. Ferry ride to Vancouver Island, BC and the week long conference on science and spirituality. Will be staying at a lovely full service campground on the Sound. The lap of luxury.:like:

Frank likes this.