What is happening?

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by MIKE ALLEN, Mar 2, 2022.

1. MIKE ALLEN

MIKE ALLEN Seedling

My operating system is. Win 7. My service provider is. Virgin Media. The past few evenings, all has gone as usual. Then. My virgine mail box is unobtainable. Yet my Gmail box is OK. I am using Firefox as my browser. This has become a pain in the 'A' always the message. Firefox is running but not responding....blah blah. Now around 2100---2300hrs the gremilns take over.

I selct to contact/open a site. I type in the address. Zilch. Now even my curser has vanished......

2. harrylee

harrylee Seedling

I am no computer guy by a long shot, but W7 is pretty ancient.

Support for Windows 7 is discontinued, but the software will continue to function. After January 14, 2020, if your computer is running Windows 7, it will no longer receive security updates.

Might be time Mike.

Dirtmechanic and MIKE ALLEN like this.
  3. mart

mart Strong Ash

I think 7 is what I am running ! Try to restart ! That usually clears mine ! My ISP said restart will clear most problems and so far it has !

MIKE ALLEN likes this.
  4. MIKE ALLEN

MIKE ALLEN Seedling

Time now is 01.28 I have shut down and restarted a few times. Attempting to type in a seach address. Zilch. Trying my email inbox, this is still unavailable. Typing in and using the cursor seems ok now. Question now is. Is it the internet or is there something wrong with my computer. Does some bit or bob get overheated and shut down, or what. I don't know. It really bugs me. My computer is my window to the outside. I live alone and need to stay in touch.

Dirtmechanic likes this.

Advertisement
  5. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

There is a ping function executed from the command prompt or powershell that will return the number of channels working. usually(last i checked) we have roughly 26 channels and when it gets crappy we are operating on half that number.

MIKE ALLEN likes this.
  6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Throw every product of Microsoft out of your PC, as I once did, with gusto! Then install Linux, (it's completely free) - After which say goodbye to all such problems forever, (even viruses or ransomware won't be able to do anything to you anymore). :cool:

Pretty soon when you'll start enjoying a completely trouble free experience. And so when all Microsoft products are reduced to only a resentful memory - Then you'll also breathe a much deserved sigh of relief...

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022
    MIKE ALLEN likes this.
  7. mart

mart Strong Ash

Its your system not your computer !

MIKE ALLEN likes this.
  8. MIKE ALLEN

MIKE ALLEN Seedling

9. MIKE ALLEN

MIKE ALLEN Seedling

Well the saga is solved.
    Attempting to open my emails. Continued failures as previously mentioned.Notification screen from Virgin Problems in my area etc, engineers working hard to fix it. A few phone calls and that wonderful answer machine, press this button etc.
    Eventually I kept the line open and a real live chap came on line. Checking my identity, he then says. Our security system had detected unusual happenings for your emails, so a lock was put on.
    He was most helpful. Soon new passwords were setup and all systems GO.

Ha ha! One email was from Virgin. It outlined the problem and how I could correct it.

FANTASTIC. My emails had been locked, neither could I send or receive. OH for modern technology.

harrylee likes this.
  10. harrylee

harrylee Seedling

That sort of thing is why I have more than one email address. One for important stuff like bills, bank etc.....and another for all the entertainment stuff, forums, games, facebook etc.
    I think you could tell your provider both emails, so they would have sent that email to both and you would have been able to see it.

MIKE ALLEN likes this.
  11. MIKE ALLEN

MIKE ALLEN Seedling

Thanks Harrylee. I have two emil addresses. Never thought about what you suggest.

harrylee likes this.