What is happening?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Sep 18, 2022.

1. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Are garden snails harmful to humans?

[​IMG]

Common garden snails are not poisonous, nor are they venomous. This means that they are not toxic to humans either through their consumption or their bites. That being said, the main danger with snails is that they can pass on parasites through contact.

I found the above information online. Being pescatarian we wouldn't eat any of them anyway. At the moment it's a bit dodgy eating fish around here, especially if caught in local waters. Our water company is letting raw sewage foul up our seas.
    We source fish that is caught deep sea and frozen at sea.

Jewell, Pacnorwest and eileen like this.
  2. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

Snails have to be cleaned out by only feeding them lettuce for a week before eating them.

If you eat a snail that has just eaten Hemlock, you'll be eating the Hemlock too so your future will be short and predictable :eek:

eileen, Pacnorwest and Dirtmechanic like this.
  3. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

4. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

You know this sounds unfortunately comparable to the country cookin' here involving O'possum and wild pig. It is best to feed them corn for a week and trim the toenails for instagram.

eileen, Pacnorwest and Zigs like this.

Advertisement
  5. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Thanks for these links pacnorwest, they were really interesting. The picture of the shop with the workers gathered around a table of snails reminded me of the family gathering around the scullery table with pins to get the meat out of the winkles so we could have them with bread & butter for tea. It took ages. I suppose winkles are just miniature snails really -
    upload_2022-10-13_18-30-12.jpeg all of us kids used to collect them from the beach and bring them home for grandad to cook in his bucket on the stove. Kept us busy AND fed most of the day.

Pacnorwest and eileen like this.
  6. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

I haven't directly eaten slugs or snails. I say "directly" because (1) the chickens and ducks are free range, so if a slug is in their yard, it will be eaten and (2) whenever I find a slug, I throw it over the fence to the hens. So, a little of the protein in the eggs might have started out as slug protein.

But I have eaten cricket crackers. Sometimes people used to bring surplus snack products etc to Meals on Wheels, which I help deliver. Sometimes those products don't fit the menu. That included when someone brought in a big box of cricket crackers. I'm vegetarian, but somehow I don't mind the idea of eating highly processed crickets. They weren't bad, kind of like whole wheat crackers with added cardboard and fine sand, then spiced up with seasoned salt. I kind of liked them. I don't think they did well in the marketplace, I haven't seen them at the local megagrocer.

Edible insects

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
    Tetters, Zigs and Pacnorwest like this.
  7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

It’s the curiosity that enticed my taste buds. When they are cooked correctly they are definitely worth a try.
    No slugs totally different and not the snails from our gardens… special snails that are bred are farmed in a clean environment in France. All good cans from grocery are all imported from France where snails are a delicacy. Of course don’t tell my sons 6th grade class when they were studying France’s food and we brought in Escargot for a few brave students to try. Prepared with bread , elephant garlic , home made butter scallions served hot right out of the oven. … very good..yumm.. I know sounds ? But once you get past the ? Your all in for the taste. :snicker:

Tetters, Zigs and eileen like this.
  8. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

I'm sticking to being pescatarian :D

Found this critter sitting on the fish food tub this morning :eek:

DSC02709.JPG

Somehow I just don't fancy him for lunch :whistling:

Tetters, eileen and Dirtmechanic like this.
  9. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Shrimp. Crab. evidently salty hard shells for me.

Tetters, Zigs and eileen like this.
  10. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

Found you one Mr Mechanic :D

DSC02768 (2).JPG

eileen and Tetters like this.
  11. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

I thought you were looking for something adventurous for your menu DM :whistling:

Dirtmechanic likes this.
  12. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

Well I grew up on the Bering Sea. My normal has blown the curve. King crab that can wrap its legs around you and Halibut you have to shoot to get into the boat. Salmon dinner 20 minutes out of the water. Smoked beaver anyone? I know I do not like Black Bear and Eskimo Ice cream. The fermented blubber flavors do not agree with me. Bear may be like Opossum or wild pig, you just gotta feed them popsicles for a while? I do like a smoked oyster, or one one the half shell. Had escargo or something like it on the Normandy coast. The French can only help snails but so much.

Tonight I made dinner:

PXL_20221114_001940238.jpg

Butternut Squash and Cauliflower au Gratin, Roasted Russets and a savory apple sauce for the stuffed truffle beast. Pretty traditional fare.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
    Tetters and Daniel W like this.
  13. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

You live dangerously young man :eek:

Dirtmechanic likes this.
  14. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

There was a great deal of spinach in the stuffing but you know how it shrinks in the presence of pepperoni and cheeses.

15. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

:setc_027: yeah!

Dirtmechanic likes this.