What is Organic Farming?

Discussion in 'Organic Gardening' started by Frank, Jul 1, 2005.

1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

What is Organic Farming? by Jeremy Pickles

Organic farming is the production of food using all natural methods - avoiding all synthetic chemicals and genetically modified organisms. Its' core philosophy is that of sustainability or 'zero impact'. The organic farmer seeks to leave the earth in its' natural state after the harvest.

The focus of organic methods is on soil quality. Crops are grown without artificial fertilizers and pesticides, and livestock is reared free of drugs and hormones. Proponents of organic food believe it produces food with higher quality and nutritional value than conventional chemical-based methods.

Many countries including the US and the EU have certification programs to control the use of the term "Organic". This benefits the consumer by ensuring best practice has been followed. This varies from region to region but includes things like the minimum length of time a field can be left free of chemicals before it is allowed to be used for organic farming.

There are many different styles of organic food production but they all adhere to the same principles:

* no artificial fertilizers or drugs
    * no genetically modified organisms
    * prevention of soil depletion
    * 'biodiversity' - the growing of a range of crops not just a single species.

One recent researcher found that vegetables in the 1950s contained more than eight times as many trace elements as modern crops, which he attributed to the excessive use of nitrate fertilizers. You can read all the latest research at http://www.ge-free.com/

Organic farming has come about as a consumer reaction against the chemical based methods that have been used so widely in 20th century food production. Really though it is simply a formalised definition of traditional agriculture as it has been practiced for thousands of years before 20th century chemicals were invented.

So far, organic farming has been limited to small businesses growing for local markets. Organic farming methods are very expensive compared to their chemical counterparts, and the production yields are low when compared to 'conventional' farming.

Consumers of course are willing to pay a premium for the improved flavour and nutrition value of organic produce but it remains a premium market. This will change as more large scale organic producers enter production.

Most countries now have 'all organic' type food stores in the larger cities. So long as there are people who enjoy healthy living and an alternative to the chemical ridden norm, these businesses will continue to flourish.

About the Author

Jeremy is the owner of http://www.ge-free.com/ and publisher of Organic Food News.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. rockhound
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Tooty2shoes
      Replies:
      Views:

3. SquashNut

SquashNut New Seed

I have been telling my husband for along time that we as a country are over weight because we do not get the nutrients from our food, so to compensate we eat more. This is directly caused by the chemical farming of our food supply. I had no idea it had changed so much since I was a kid though.
    Most people don't know the difference though.

4. Seattle Gardens

Seattle Gardens New Seed

I don't have a garden, I should start one but we have too much shade. I have a huge compost pile and my yard behind the garage had really nice black dirt made from huge maple tree leaves there are two huge maple trees dropping leaves for probably several decades if not a century. I planted rhurbarb in flower beds because it is so pretty.
    I don't want to do organic gardening I want to grow inorganic veggies so they are like rocks:) Maybe I can grow a rock garden.

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Eileen's garden is completely organic Seattle. I'm sure she would have one or two pointers. Also my guess is that you have made many a member jealous when you you mentioned the compost pile you have :) That sounds like quite a bit of 'black gold' :eek:

Advertisement
  6. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

The thing I love about not spraying or using chemicals on my allotment is the chance to watch the kids just picking raspberries or strawberries and popping them in their mouths, not a care in the world! Pulling out a carrot from the ground, wiping it clean (normally on mummy's trouser leg) and munching on it. I don't have to worry about what they are eating.

7. Seattle Gardens

Seattle Gardens New Seed

I grew carrots once they turned out huge. My boyfriend didn't like me digging a garden with my shovel so he bought a rototiller. Then he decided I needed fertilizer so he when to a dairy farmer he knew that let him clean calf pens and bring home the dirty bedding, he brought two pick up loads and tilled them into my little garden. I didn't think anything would grow but planted anyhow. The carrots were about 5 inches across. Is this safe to do? Don't cattle droppings have dangerous stuff in them?
    What kind of fertilizer can you use that is safe if not chemicals or cow poo?
    There is a dairy farm near here that will bring you 10 yards of cow poo if you pay them

8. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

No organic gardening is not safe, people have been known to live for a hundred years eating only organic food. Please mail all dangerous carrots to my house for safe disposal. :)

Sorry, I'm being silly. But Scott Nearing did live to be 100.