what is wrong with my squash and tomatoes?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by daisybeans, Jul 11, 2009.

1. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I am frustrated with my squash and tomatoes.

The squash (yellow and patty pan) are getting lots of flowers but compared to the number of flowers, not many squash. Flowers just wilt after a couple of days. Foliage is growing but seems pale to me, especially the older, larger leaves. I have begun picking the squash when small because I read that would encourage the setting of more squash. It may be helping; not sure.

Tomatoes are producing few tomatoes too. Again, lots of flowers but they dry up and without setting a tomato. Only one or two tomatoes per plant and one has not had a flower or fruit set yet. The green tomatoes have been hanging there for weeks without ripening...

They get plenty of water, good drainage, OK sun. Some in pots, some in ground. Feeding with fish emulsion 1x a week at the base, and today I used regular Miracle Grow and sprayed the leaves.

I'm wondering if the excessive amounts of rain early in the season is to blame and if so, are they just delayed? Will they be able to catch up?

Broccoli, cucumbers, peppers and okra seem to be doing fine, planted in the same areas/pots/conditions.

I planted extra plants so I'd have lots to give away... hardly enough for just me.... Disappointing. :(

Please help... :'(

2. Loading...

3. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

With the squash i would think that it is a fertilizer problem. Not all flowers are the female producing flower. Could be that you have a lot of the male flowers. Start fertilizing them weekly and see what happens.

The problem with the tomatoes could be an issue with pollination. I shake my plants on a regular basis to aide in pollination. Also start fertilizing them weekly as well. I also use Epsom salts around my plants. Sometimes I add it to the water and other times I sprinkle a hand full around the base of the plants. This helps the plant hold on to the flowers.

Good luck!

4. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Thanks GM -- I appreciate your feedback. I just shook everybody up out there.

What do you fertilize with? This may be a dumb question, but is fertilizing different than feeding? I've been using fish emulsion food (5-1-1) and today Miracle Grow all purpose (24-8-16). Is there something better? I'll try epsom salts tomorrow -- I remember you reco'd that in other posts...

Also it seems like now the plants are producing fewer flowers -- will fertilizer (food?) help make more flowers? I've read where some fertilizers encourage more leaf growth than flowers... am I using the wrong type?

5. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

I use a seaweed fish emulsion one week and then I use miracle grow the other...It also doesn't hurt to put compost around as well. I use a seashell compost. The happier and more well fed your plants are the healthier they will be and should give you more flowers.

Do you tomato plants have a lot of leaves on them? If so try pruning off a bunch on the lower part of the plant. I normally have very few leave son my plants. That way more food can go to the flowers and tomatoes and less to the leaves. Tomato plants do not need a lot of leaves to be healthy. Take a look at my blog for some pictures of plants from this year and last.

I hope this helps.

Advertisement
  6. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

OK. Thanks again.
    I did see your plants....was glad that you replied. I get what you're saying here. I'll trim them a bit. I saw some lobster compost at the local nursery so I'll get some of that too. Keep up with the "fish food" and other food. I bought some epsom salts. We'll see what happens! After all that, if they're still not happy, then so be it, right?
    DB

7. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

All you can do is your best and hope that mother nature smiles on you. Good luck!

8. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Sorry you are having problems DB. I didn't plant any tomatoes this year. A friend said they would have plenty for me as well. I haven't seen a tomato yet! :rolleyes:

As far as your green ones, have fried green tomatoes! :D

Good luck with your help from Michele. :stew1:

9. Canadian Chelsea

Canadian Chelsea In Flower

Regarding the fertilizer you are using Daisybeans, the problem could be too much nitrogen and not enough phosphorus. The first number is nitrogen which promotes healthy green leaves. The second number is for phosphorus which helps produce the flowres and fruit.
    Perhaps you should change the fertilizer to a 20-20-20 for a more even balance of nutrition. I use a 20-20-20 on all my flowering plants with excellent results.

Another reason your tomatoes are dropping their blossoms and not ripening could be cool night time temperatures. Tomatoes really dislike fluctuating temperatures.

10. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Maybe that has something to do with it, CC, although the paleness of the squash leaves caused me to think nitrogen was in order... maybe I'll alternate between a food with higher nitrogen and a more balanced one.

I hope your tomato source picks up soon, KG!!

Thanks again, all.