What is your favourite garden critter?

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by playtime8978, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Evil Roy

Evil Roy In Flower

My favorite garden critter? That's easy! It's Toni!

2. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Eileen, I didn't realize hedgehogs were so helpful in the garden. I've only seen them as pets here. It would be wonderful to have them in the garden. We have an abundance of slugs for harvesting.

Guess my favorite is chickadees, because they are here year round. The bumble bees are also wonderful, and worms rank a third favorite.

3. PepperDude

PepperDude In Flower

It would be bluebirds!
    I have put bluebird boxes around my veggie garden and the lil buggers are doing a great job of keeping the bug population down.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from PepperDude's Garden )

4. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

It is hard for me to pick favorites because I like most...I don't like snakes...I love the little American Goldfinches, the Cardinals, the Blue Jays, etc...Hummers..my list could go on and on...I just love nature. I am fascinated by snakes, I just do not want to be gardening and have them looking at me while I am on my knees weeding or coming closer..the two I had at the other house in the lower level of the house scared me....I never want one inside again...I have not seen one since we moved...WHEW________________..

Advertisement
  5. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

It's hard for me to pick a favourite as there are so many but no-one has mentioned the humble little ladybird which has to be one of my very favourites as it devours hundreds of greenfly.

6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yep gardengirl, the Ladybug is one of my favorites. I don't see many but the ones I do are welcomed with open arms.
    My other favorite is the 'lowly' earthworm. They really have their aerating work cut out for them in this black clay soil but they are up for the challenge.

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Speaking of earthworms, I found some of the HUGEST earthworms today!!! Like 7 inches! I almost took a picture but then I thought that was going a little too far. :-D :!:

8. lulu1107

lulu1107 New Seed

Favorite Garden Critter

I spent almost an entire season gardening near and sometimes right next to a large garden spider. He looked a bit intimidating at first, as I did to him, but we soon settled in to our respective tasks and learned to appreciate eachother's role in the yard. He is one of my favorites, although my bunny Elmo and my friends the robins are easier to warm up to!

9. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I like the hedgehogs best, but I also like the ladybirds, the worms and the frogs. Our small birds are also very welcome, but our cats are very good at chasing them unfortunately.

10. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

I really like the skinks and anole lizards that run around here. Every now and then there will be a bunny, snake, or box turtle or rarely a deer in the back yard. I've only seen one humming bird around my azaleas, and he was pretty. I wish I would see more of them. I really just enjoy them all.

11. Pricklypear

Pricklypear Seedling

I like the lizards.

And, I have hundreds of ant lion pits. I hope they all getting fat and happy because I've been fighting ants all spring. I think the ant lion larvae are more commonly known as doodle bugs outside the desert.

12. FlowerFreak22

FlowerFreak22 In Flower Plants Contributor

I remember ant lions. I used to see them a lot when I was younger at our old house, until we moved. I used to dig them up to see what they looked like and watch ants fall into the pit and get eaten. I've never heard doodle bugs before for ant lions; maybe for a rollie pollie or pill bug though. :)

13. Kildale

Kildale Nature's Window

I didn't know that so many like the bugs and the birds. I thought there would be one who liked the squirrels. I've covered the birds and the wildflowers so now my pet subjects are the insects. They help pay for my cameras.

14. Palm Tree

Palm Tree Young Pine

I just love the little geckoes and lizards that also live in the garden (sometimes in the house). It is just a pity that they will not pose for a photo.
    My little doggie SNoopy also loves them. Always chasign after them when we are in the garden. ;)

15. blackswan

blackswan Seedling

my favourites are butterflies as i always think the first one that i see each year in my garden is my mum flying by to say hello, the next has to be ladybirds and hedgehogs and for their cuteness alone tiny mice., that i occasionally see and which i have to try and keep our cat away from :)