What is your grandparent name?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Ronni, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Those of you who have grandkids, what do they call you?

I never gave much thought to this before I started having grandkids. I still remember when my son Corey first call me to tell me they were pregnant (this is the one across the country, the firefighter) and he asked me what I wanted to be called!! I had no idea, but finally settled on Grams. My kids had endearing names for me as their Mother, other than typical "Mom" and one of the things they would call me was Moms. I liked that, so I chose Grams.

Then when my second son told me they were expecting, I just carried on that name. But things were strained in their relationship, and I didn't get to see the grandkids very much (She tended to use them as a pawn to get what she wanted) and the Grams name never stuck. She only ever referred to me as Grandma, and the kids when they were little sort of ran that together, and so Gramma became my grandparent name for them.

When Paige and William got pregnant, they unilaterally decided that my grandmother name had to be Biddy...yeah, that's right! :p You'd have to understand their sense of humor to really get why that would be the name they chose They weren't being intentionally offensive, and I took no offense because I know them. They reassured me that if I didn't like it we'd come up with something else. I had no issue with it, but told them realistically that the likelihood of their child actually calling me Biddy was remote. Too much for a kid to be able to say, and I was right. I was very involved with Paige's first child...well all her kids actually! and as much as she tried to refer to me as Biddy, and tried to get my grandson to say that, it ended up coming out Bee. And eventually Bee just became my grandma name. When the other two were born, they didn't even try to get them to say Biddy, it was just Bee.

Having a different grandparent name depending on the family is interesting. I have to remember for example how to sign cards and letters, and how to refer to myself depending on which family I'm talking about or to. I have 5 kids, and two of them still don't have children, so I'm curious what other names will get added to my list of Grandmother names!

How about you?

Gail-Steman likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't have any grandchildren but would probably pick Gran if I did. My kids all call me mum (although I have a sneaky feeling they have a different name for me when I'm not around.) :rolleyes: Ian and I don't even have pet names for each other.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

When my daughter was expecting her first boy, she asked what I wanted to be called....I told let him come up with a name for me. Unfortunately he started calling me Bonka (Randy tried his best to get Austin to say Bonkers instead but he did not change. But at some point as he got older he started calling me Gramma, I think he heard his mom refer to me as Gramma so he picked that up.

5. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Well I don't have children but my hubbies grandchildren all call me Nan and i'm very close to his sons daughter.

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I have a 7 month old grandson, and I still haven't decided what I want to be called!
    At first, I wanted to use Oma, to stick with my German heritage. But that didn't 'feel' right and my kids said I couldn't be Oma because that was what they called MY mom.
    Then I mentioned 'Grammie' one day, because I thought it sounded cute, but that didn't feel right either. I don't want to be grandma, or gran, or grannie.
    Lately I've been calling myself Omi ... that was what I called MY german grandmother when she was alive, and I think that one might stick.
    I was just hoping my grandson would come up with his own name for me LOL

7. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Ron has very young grandchildren. When I started coming around, I just referred to myself as Ronni around them, expecting that they'd call me that...at least the older one who had just started talking..the baby wasn't even a year old yet. But he just couldn't manage to pronounce Ronni well. It kept coming out Honey! And it's sort of stuck...his younger brother who has now started to talk is also calling me Honey. Yet another grandma name to respond to!! ;)

We don't always get to be called the name we choose. A dear friend of mine and her husband wanted to be called Nanny and Pops. Their one and only grandchild simply could not get his tongue around that, and started calling them Nam and Bops. To this day, the boy is now in his early 30's, they are still called Nam and Bops!! Love that.

I co-grandparent with a lovely woman called Candy. She chose for her name to be CeCe with the grands. That's fine. She's remarried, and her husband's name is Steve. When the first grandkid came along, they planned to have that child call him Steve too. But Lily just couldn't manage Steve, and his name kept coming out Dink. A few grandkids later, and now he's just Dink to all the grands! :D

Gail-Steman likes this.