what kind of a "meow" is that?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Sureenna, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Sureenna

Sureenna New Seed

I have a Maine Cat and I understand that they meow differently. My cat almost only meows if she wants me to scoop her litter box..pretty much no other time. This is a very vocal meow.

She also has this other meow, it's a silent meow. You can see her going through the motions but you can't hear anything. She ONLY does this if you laugh at her or sneeze, lol. I have a 4 year old who thinks it's funny to laugh at the cat because then she silently meows and I get a vibe that the cats not happy, idk.

I have no idea why she does it, I think it's because it hurts her feelings when you laugh at her and it ticks her off? I don't know about the sneezing. Or maybe the tone bothers her? It's so weird, any ideas?

2. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    I know that silent meow. Definitely my kitty isn't happy when it happens. See it a lot when he's looking out the window at birds or when something or someone else is out there. It always looks like he has his knickers in a ruff. His brother did it a lot more, but he also sat by the window more.

Then there is the barking meow...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

We once had a Maine Coon Cat. Same Cat? It had a unique disposition and abilities from other cats we owned, wishes were expressed in actions rather than vocalization. It liked to ride on my shoulder and look out windows that it would otherwise would not be able to look out.

Jerry

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Feliz, our calico, rarely meows. She has us sight-trained, so there is no need to exert herself vocally. She looks at what she wants (food dish, lap, toy) and we hurry to obey.
    Jerry, I've only seen one Maine Coon cat, and if yours was the size that one was, you must be a very strong man to carry one around on your shoulder. Maineliner (the cat) weighed in around 22 lbs. and didn't look fat!

Advertisement
  5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

:D :D I think they are just like people, all are different! My old office cat has the silent meow ALL THE TIME. She is a sweetie. The only time I hear that horrible, scary meow is when she thinks she's all alone. Our little cat at home kinda chirps or squeaks and Jazzy Cat (the neighbor's cat that has adopted us) has the weirdest, squakiest meow I've ever heard. It sounds like she's getting stepped on or ran over :eek: It gets your attention :D

6. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

The cat (bitsy) weighed in at about 18-20 lbs. let you know it wanted in or out by jumping on the door(inside ) or reinforced screen door(outside). It was the "I want in" part that was humorous. We would walk by the kitchen door and there, outside, hanging 5 feet up on the reinforced screen was the cat, claws dug in looking at you. If you acknowledged it was there the cat would jump down to the entryway floor, otherwise it would just hang there.

Jerry

7. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I had a street cat silent meowing at me throughout my whole meal a few days back. Quite clever actually because a) it wasn't annoying and b) it was cute. She got my leftovers.