What kind of plants live in a water only water fall

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by newgrow, Mar 23, 2010.

1. newgrow

newgrow Seedling

I am getting ready to make a water overflow with an old flower pot we no longer use. I was wandering if there are plants that can live in water only-no soil. I can if possible use fertilizer but no soil what so ever. If that is possible PLEASE let me know as this may change my design.

So far I am going to have a 3 ft square. A pot in the middle and a pump on the bottom of the planter pushing water up to make it overflow into a rock and water only basin. I was just hopping for plants as well.
    OH! It will also be on my porch with NO direct sunlight at all.If no plants that is ok I will just have a waterfall.

Any help would be great. I will post picks of the whole process once I begin.

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

4. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

Hygrophilia difformis, Anubias, Nymphaea zenkeri, Lemna minor, Pistia stratiotes

Lots of plants will grow in water only. Just make sure to match their needs and you will be fine.

5. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I was wondering the same thing, about which water plants grow in shade. Thanks for the link Toni!

Advertisement
  6. brombear

brombear Seedling Plants Contributor

Most marginal bog plants can live happily submerged for periods, which means they would do fine on a water fall. Look at wet lithophytic plants and various parts of the work of Patrick Blanc may be very usefulto you. We're [planning to also build a waterfall, the rocky backdrop of which will be covered in lithophyitc and epiphytic plants, with the water fallinga as a sheet infront like a curtain so they will get mostly the spray. Good luck and love to see your pics when done

7. newgrow

newgrow Seedling

Thank you all. That was way more than I even thought about. Now I have lots to look at. Oh boy thanks a bunch and now I really can't wait to get this started. I am glad I can turn my (what was going to be just a water overflow) into a water garden on my porch!

THANKS GARDEN STEW!

8. fencesllove

fencesllove Seedling

There are really a lot of water plants..

Water Lilies,buttercup,and other submerged pond plant..

Oh,I think you're already in the process.. I guess,I'm too late...

but,I hope it will still help.. good luck on your water garden! :)