What plants did you propagate this year?

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by purpleinopp, Oct 18, 2012.

1. AwesomeBlossom

AwesomeBlossom New Seed

I propagated my Angel Trumpets 31 varieties of them, Iochromas are picky as I started quite a few but think 20% might survive, and I tried for the first time to propagate my Abutilons and am waiting to see but they are still alive, just really small. that was the cuttings for the year. lotta work and lotta fun. We love our flowers.

Philip Nulty and waretrop like this.
  2. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

TY, Barb!

Sounds great, AwesomeBlossom! Good luck!

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Angel wing begonias. we will see if they root or how long it takes.

Philip Nulty and purpleinopp like this.
  4. liono

liono Seedling

I have started Key Lemon from seeds, easy to propagate and looks cute. I also grown Kiwi from seeds they look fantastic, slow growing though. Planning to grow pines from seed.

Lemon.jpg
    Key Lemon From Seed

Advertisement
  5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Really liono. You started Kiwi from seeds??? Tell us how you did that please???? I want to do that...

6. liono

liono Seedling

Yes waretop worked at first time as well, quite fun!. I followed this video , real easy despite the man in the video saying it is difficult. Here are some photos:
    Kiwi Transplanted.jpg Kiwi-+-Lemon.jpg

I put the seeds on tissue paper, sprayed them with water (not soaked), put them in a plastic bag then hid them in a cupboard for about 15-20 days then seeds started sprouting one after the other. The temperature was around 21C (~70F).

Have fun!

7. liono

liono Seedling

Update on Kiwi seedlings:
    15 April 2016:
    Kiwi 15 April 2016.JPG

03 May 2016:
    Kiwi -  3 May 2016.JPG Kiwi 3 May 2016.JPG

Philip Nulty, 2ofus and purpleinopp like this.
  8. Coppice

Coppice In Flower

I grafted apples, Goldens & Dorsett. Leaves are already peeking out.

Philip Nulty, purpleinopp and carolyn like this.
  9. purpleinopp

Angel trumpet plant (Brugmansia) being ground layered. Bend a branch to the ground, lay a rock or brick on the contact point. Being in contact with the ground causes roots to form on the branch at that spot. When the new roots are significant, cut the connecting branch, scoop up new plant & put it in a new place.
    2016-06-15 047.JPG
    Chinese evergreen (Aglaonema) cutting from about 3 months ago is making a bunch of new stems.
    2016-06-15 051.JPG
    Ornamental purslane (Portulaca umbraticola.) Saved last winter by sticking cuttings in house plant pots. This spring, I snipped all the stems & stuck them back in the ground.
    2016-06-15 067.JPG
    Already blooming stems don't stop blooming when cut & stuck elsewhere. They just keep blooming while taking root. This stem was cut & stuck in the ground here about 4-5 days before taking this pic.
    2016-06-10 061.JPG
    I put this hanging pot together about a week ago with various cuttings.
    2016-06-10 055.JPG

2016-06-10 058.JPG

The Cannas & a couple elephant ears were put in this pot as still-dormant rhizomes this spring, with every thing else added as cuttings. Starting to fill in well, IMVHO!
    2016-06-10 065.JPG
    Begonia stem stuck in the ground 2-3 months ago is making a new stem & blooming.
    2016-05-26 039.JPG

10. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

WOW Purple, all I propagated was tomato suckers and a rose branch.

11. Green_Numb

Green_Numb In Flower

I was a little confused on propagating and what it exactly meant. Still am a bit...

I thought it was taking cuttings from a parent plant.....aka cloning?
    I see a lot of people talk about propagation from seeds? Is there a difinitive meaning to this word when talking about plants?

Well anyway I took my first cutting ever a few weeks ago from one off my black knight butterfly bushes. 4 in a pot but one shriveled away.

20160603_093314.jpg

Can someone define the true meaning of propagation? I grow everything from seed. Does that count?

Sjoerd, Growingpains and Philip Nulty like this.
  12. purpleinopp

TY, Growingpains! That sounds awesome! Free food!

Yes, in its' simplest form, propagation means to cause an increase. More specifically, in relation to gardening, Wiki has a working definition:
    "Plant propagation is the process of creating new plants from a variety of sources: seeds, cuttings, bulbs and other plant parts. Plant propagation can also refer to the artificial or natural dispersal of plants."
    You could also do your own investigation by looking on dictionary.com or any of the other dictionary sites or in an old-school paper dictionary.

Good luck with your cuttings! It should go well, they're known to propagate easily.

This one was a cutting 2 yrs ago. Pic from about 2-3 weeks ago. I put it in my MIL's yard when she said she wanted one.
    0519161739.jpg

Sjoerd, 2ofus, Growingpains and 3 others like this.
  13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Plant propagation is making identical plants from some part of the parent plant... leaves, stem, roots or cells. cell culture is pretty specialized and most hobby propagators don't do this, but stem and leaf and root propagation is much easier and many people do it. dividing your hostas come Spring is a form of propagation. you are planning on moving them to selling or giving them to someone else and are replanting them. Growing seeds could be a form of propagation... but it is a personal thought... I personally think of anything but starting seeds when I speak of propagation.

Sjoerd, 2ofus, Growingpains and 2 others like this.
  14. Green_Numb

Green_Numb In Flower

Thanks for the info. I still don't have a definitive answer but I can live with it. I just never thought it had anything to do with seeds and was mainly to do with taking from cuttings. This is what is confusing me.
    No biggie though.... :)

P.s. Nice butterfly bush purpleinopp.

purpleinopp and Philip Nulty like this.
  15. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

IMG_2090.jpg My addiction to propagating came from my Dad's Cottage Garden beliefs,..never buy a plant,..swap with other Cottage Gardeners,..cuttings and plants,.. then increase them again and again.

A neighbor of mine died and i took cuttings from quite a lot of his plants before the garden was overgrown,..one such cutting mystified me and only in the past few weeks did it flower,..at last i discovered i had a 'Crinodendron hookerian' 'Chile Lantern Tree',..very pleased with this.

Crinodendron hookerianum | Chile lantern tree/RHS Gardening IMG_2089.jpg

Seven new roses propagated this year and all blooming today.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
    2ofus, Frank, Growingpains and 3 others like this.