What plants for my bathroom, advice please

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by ogami, Feb 12, 2007.

1. ogami

ogami New Seed

Hi There, I'm not very good with plants... actually that's probably an understatement. I haven't had any houseplants for years apart from our 1 Yukka which despite my best efforts seems to have survived pretty much unscathed. I'd really like this to change so I'm hoping for some help/advice.

I'd really like a plant or 2 in the bathroom but I'm not sure what I should choose. The room doesn't get a lot of light and it tends to build up condensation in there. It's also quite cold even in the summer. Can anyone advise as to what poor plants can handle these kinds of conditions?

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Ogami you could try an aspidistra in you bathroom as they are really low maintenance plants.
    In the nice humid environment of your bathroom, Boston ferns would do well too. However, my very favorite all-time low-maintenance vine is pothos which you could grow in a pot with a moss pole for support. Any type of philodendron would thrive in those conditions as well such as Monstera Deliciosa which are huge, as are seloum, but there are smaller varieties you can choose from.
    If you want to try something more interesting, you might try an orchid. They're much easier to grow than people seem to think, and they will benefit from the extra humidity of the bathroom. Mmmmm hang on .... maybe not on second thoughts as I've just re-read your maessage and you say you don't get much light in your bathroom and they need plenty of light. You could always go for cacti, succulents or other all time favourites such as a jade plant or spider plant!!

Hope these suggestions help.

Tip:

I would suggest using unbreakable containers for safety reasons in your bathroom. There are some great self-watering pots available now too, especially for hanging plants. You can dress them up by popping them into baskets if you don't like the look of them. :-D

4. ogami

ogami New Seed

Thanks for your advice:) I'll write a list of the ones you mentioned and go have a look at what I can find. At least I have some things to look for and won't come back with something insanely unsuitable:)

5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Ogami you should also have a look at:

- Dumb cane (Dieffenbachia maculata)
    - [info]Snake plant[/info] (Sansevieria trifasciata)
    - [info]Spider Plant[/info] (Chlorophytum comosum)
    - Bamboo

Have a look generally for tropical plants as they are tolerant to high humidity which a bathroom has.:)

Advertisement
  6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Ivy usually does well in bathrooms around here.

7. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

The good old peace lily is always pretty reliable. Even if it doesn't bloom the leaves are pretty.
    Deanna
    :-D

8. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Glendann, you read my mind. Ivy or indoor fern I was thinking.

9. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Here are some helpful hint for flowers in the home.I don't know it will help you but tells some good advice about indoor plants helping.
    Quote)
    Features Syndicate Add Plants to Home Environment to Rehydrate the Air

Bring moisture into a dry home by getting these types of plants - ferns, begonias, coleus and zebra plants - because they like moisture and they grow fast. Place the pots on top of a shallow tray filled with pebbles and water, this will help to keep moisture in the air.

10. ogami

ogami New Seed

Wow, so many things to choose from:) I shall have fun looking around certainly! I like the Bamboo idea... I love when you see those Japanese gardens in Movies and stuff (I'm a big fan of Japanese/East Asian cinema so I see those things a lot) so maybe I'll look at some of those! Will see what I can find in the garden center:)

Thanks for all your suggestions! I feel like I at least have some idea now!

Quick question... do any of you keep Bonsai? I have a friend who does but have never dared get one myself (My track record isn't great!)

11. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I keep a few bonsais Ogami but they do need quite a bit of care and take lots of patience. What type of bonsais does your friend have? I have a white elm and a copse of miniature ficus trees. :-D

12. ogami

ogami New Seed

I'm not sure of the type of Bonsai. I'll see if I can find out. I know recently she had one stolen which was worth quite a bit of money. Yeah... I think I need some serious practice at keeping stuff alive in general before I move on there..lol! I just bought a small Ivy for the bathroom:)

Also just sowed some Chili seeds... had them for a while and only just got around to it...

13. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Ooo, Eileen, piccy??

14. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

Ogami I have found that the bathroom is the only place in our house that we can grow plants. We have a prayer plant in the upstairs bath. We have a hoya that seems to love the downstairs bathroom and flowered very well last summer.