What Would You (Stylish Person) Put Here?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by LostInDesignSpace, Nov 2, 2019.

1. LostInDesignSpace

LostInDesignSpace New Seed

Hello! Our newly remodeled house near the coast in Florida has a curved display space, with overhead spotlight, near the front entrance (first pic). We want to put something there that really makes a really nice statement. My wife suggests a large vase with fresh flowers. A great idea, but too much maintenance. I tried a large world globe (second pic) but it was just too small for the space. The previous owners had a statue of Buddha there and it looked great! But we are not Buddhist. What would YOU do? The 3rd and 4th pics show the living area from both ends along with our clean, modern preference for decoration.

I should mention our budget is a few hundred dollars. With unlimited time and funds, I'd have built a custom curved salt water aquarium! The type you see on those aquarium shows! But that is too much.

20191027_092219-864x1152 (1).jpg
    IMG-20191022-WA0004.jpeg

20191013_104616-864x1466.jpg IMG-20190919-WA0007.jpg

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Maybe a tall, statement, glass, vase in blue. This would compliment the other blue items you already have.
    By the way you don't have to be a Buddhist to have a Buddha in your home so if you prefer one of these then go ahead.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

something simple/modern/metal?/ scour antique, consignment, resale,thrift (etc) stores. take your time looking. borrow from friends or neighbors to see if there is something that looks good there that suits you and your spouse. something on a pedestal? but not frilly. your home is too modern for frilly. flowers would be a good filler for the time being though. something dramatic but it doesn't have to be fresh. there are many silks and dried that look very realistic.

cuatro-gatos and Cayuga Morning like this.
  4. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Just remember to dust them now and again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019

Advertisement
  5. LostInDesignSpace

Thanks for those ideas!

6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

try @usihtat(instagram)or myhandsgallery ( facebook) aka Joshua Alexander (on youtube)... he has wonderful art. he might have something he can ship to you for your spot and he is one of a kind. he has some wonderful stuff. my favorite sculpture I saw was the "jellyfish". he fingerpaints and recycles his materials for his artwork.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
  7. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Why not put a plant like a pothos here.

8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

What does the other window open up to? Oh I see, the kitchen. (I enlarged the photo so I could see). I'd be tempted to eliminate that display space by joining it with the window into the kitchen and opening up the space.

LostInDesignSpace likes this.
  9. LostInDesignSpace

Interesting idea about joining the corner display area with the opening to the kitchen. We will discuss that! (the house used to have a bar surface there and stools to be served from the kitchen, so I am told.

10. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Whatever you do don’t let the area remain static, change the accented piece periodically. The light temperature(2200K to 5000K) can change to accent the area. The background and base can also change. In one word. Experiment!

Jerry

LostInDesignSpace likes this.
  11. Cayuga Morning

Chuckle. You could even put a Lazy Susan there and rotate pieces about!

12. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

If it was me and talking photo #1 and facing photo I'd take out the wall on the LEFT to increase the entire area. This would allow for a larger visual from the kitchen? And it would still allow you to put something in that space as a focal feature. I'd tend to want to put a large plant as bright green growing leaves can really carry a lot of "oomph."

Taking out the short bit of wall doesn't leave much to fix or repair but imo having a larger open area would be primo.

13. LostInDesignSpace

Thanks for the ideas. Maybe in stages. Decorate as is now and open it up when we have time.

14. Cayuga Morning

That makes sense.

I would be tempted to cut the round area off....slice through the wall at an angle (but not a right angle) so you'd have a view of the dining area from the kitchen (& vice versa). Do you know if there are supporting beams there?

15. LostInDesignSpace

Have now determined I cannot open the passthrough any further (to join the corner niche) because there is a refrigerator on the kitchen side.