What's everyone canning this year?

Discussion in 'Food Preservation and Storage' started by Netty, Jul 11, 2020.

1. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

today its chili. I used up tomatoes that I picked last week ... for the first time this year. I have sold everything of given it away so far. but with 40* nights for the past week there isn't much to pick now. hopefully it warms up enough to get a crop of beans yet so I can can those for my pantry. I haven't canned much this year. no time. I have peppers... lots of peppers. any suggestions? I have made pepper relish in the past but I don't think I have enough bell peppers to di that. I plenty of med hots though. sigh. they just didn't grow before the end of my markets.

2. marlingardener

marlingardener Strong Ash

Carolyn, peppers freeze well to be used in dishes later. I simply wash the peppers, remove the seeds and integument, cut in strips about 1/4" wide, and put in freezer bags. When I need peppers I just break off a clump of frozen peppers and chop if needed and either thaw or add frozen to whatever I'm cooking.

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Thanks Jane.

So, I just finished filling the jars and I ended up with 21 quart jars of chili and 7 3 cup jars. I reuse the jars from Aldi that have fruit in them. I sure wish I could find that size for retail sale. it is a perfect size for a small family or even 2 healthy eaters with nothing left over.

marlingardener likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ach Carolyn, too bad you don't live here, I could give you the addy the jar business we use.
    Was that chilli's or chili con carne?

Advertisement
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

S, it was chili co n carne. No beans.

Sjoerd likes this.
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

You are such a great gardener...I'd say you are a gardener and more!
    You preserve food so well. I have never thought about preserving Chili con. that way, I always just freeze it in.
    Did I infer correctly that one cannot "can" chilli this way WITH beans?

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

no... don't infer. I don't like the beans. especially kidney beans. the rest I can tolerate I don't even mind some of them, but if the beans are already canned why waste my time opening them and recanning them? nor do I always have the thought ahead of time to soak beans and use them. so... add the beans as desired or not.

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I gotcha Carolyn.