what's looking good in April 2024

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Logan, Apr 1, 2024.

1. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

The other sections of our garden , the 'long walk way' doesn't look much at present but does come in to its own when the fruit trees come into leaf/ fruit and the Irisis and Buddleja bloom. This leads up to the greenhouse and then round to the big lean to coldframes + a smaller one with the compost area the other side of the greenhouse. IMG_20240331_112302.jpg
    But this is the tatty section, kept well and truly out of view!!:D:chuckle:

IMG_20240401_162542.jpg

Logan, S-H and Pacnorwest like this.
  2. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Oreti your garden will soon be a stunner.

[QUOTE="Oreti, Love your pics especially that beautiful Camellia..it's truly stunning.[/QUOTE]
    Thank you it’s an oldie but goodie.

Oreti likes this.
  3. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

My only use of sugar is in lemonade/limeade, (got 6 to 8 different types of lime bushes growing now). Otherwise I have very little use for sugar. So that is my only motivation.

I don't drink tea or coffee, (absolutely loathe all such beverages which are hot). So I mostly drink either water, or lemonade/limeade, (with ice slush in it to the brim). But mostly water. Soda beverages I have cut down on drastically, since I have a tendency for kidney stones... Alcoholic beverages too, I never tasted in life, (I see no point in those, plus they aren't even easily available in my country). So why bother I said to myself, specially when it's been proven that alcohol kills brain cells. And since each one of my brain cells is extremely precious to me, because I only have a few, is the reason I like to protect them all.

:rofl::smt044

Plus I also have never smoked in my life either. As that useless activity also, I see no point in.

My reason to cut sugar out completely, is because it's been linked to cancer now, as well as other health issues. So after I start making my own sugar free lemonade/limeade - My next project will be making my own tomato ketchup with Stevia.

Because that's the next item I consume in bucket size quantities. Which sure gets me volume discounts at the supermarket checkouts. But also end up consuming large amounts of sugar that way...

So far I am fit and above average for my height, weight, and age, (born at the tail end of Generation X). Therefore I'd like to keep things this way as I age. I mean, why wait for problems to arise? Prevention is actually the best cure, as well as cheap too. So with a little effort, it can become fun too!

These below are the rest of my Stevia crop.

IMG_20240402_063856_371_copy_2296x1008.jpg

Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
    Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

And these are my limes.

IMG_20240402_065839_734_copy_2296x1008.jpg IMG_20240402_070015_921_copy_2296x1008.jpg IMG_20240402_065940_801_copy_2296x1008.jpg IMG_20240402_065912_196_copy_2296x1008.jpg IMG_20240402_065853_300_copy_2296x1008.jpg

Daniel W, Frank, Oreti and 2 others like this.

Advertisement
  5. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Sounds like you are living a very healthy , wise progressive life style. Taking charge of the foods in your diet improves and reduces risks of health issues. You have developed some important culinary skills making your own foods. Eating the right foods is important since so much medical news has enlightened us all on dangers of prepared foods, junk foods sugars and alcohol. That’s why I have used stevia in baked goods and drinks since 1998 .
    Your trees are gorgeous. Lemonade / limeade is a fav summer drink here too. I squeeze oranges for orange juice, they are getting spendy too. So nice you have the climate to grow lime and lemon trees. They are getting very expensive at grocery stores as most foods will become even more spendy as climate change has affected climates around the world.

I had no idea alcohol is not available in your country, I looked it up and now understand. The principles behind the prohibition in your country.I think it should not be available here to . Too many have struggled with alcohol use disorder and living on the streets. Scientists have found a gene linked to predisposition tendencies for people who could develop AUD.

Winters are so cold here, warm /hot drinks are available ,soups etc, even coffee houses popping up everywhere.

You have a lot of options for your garden hope to see more pics soon.

Oreti, Logan and S-H like this.
  6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Yes open sale of alcohol is banned, so to buy it, you either need to show your passport, (to prove you're a foreigner), or get a liquor purchasing license from the government, (if you are non Muslim) - Or become a slave to some bootlegger, and hope he or she isn't an undercover cop...

So the best and most sensible option is, to simply avoid it. Because honestly, there really is absolutely nothing to gain from it. Why bother spending so much money for something, which eventually will only result in harm.

Second smoke however is something I really have to fight against. As whenever I tell someone to put that cigarette out, specially in a closed space, they take immediate offense. Even if there is a no smoking sign, our people simply ignore it. So this has resulted in a few very brutal fist fights over the years. All of which I have won - However I require a better solution...

:headscratch:

But I do desire to grow a tobacco plant someday. As I've heard that nicotine is an excellent natural toxin, which is ideal as a pesticide. So someday I would want to experiment with that... In the meantime, I have 3 adult Neem trees growing on my property. So their extract is functioning great as an insecticide.

Oreti, Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  7. Clay_22

Clay_22 Young Pine

0401241920-1.jpg Here's my pepper seedlings @S-H , the hungarian, orange habenero, sante fe and red lipstick didn't germinate after two tries so I will get transplants from the local nursery when available.

Oreti, Sjoerd, Pacnorwest and 2 others like this.
  8. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Everything shown here is perfect :stew1:

Pacnorwest, Oreti, Clay_22 and 2 others like this.
  9. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Pac you are right :)

10. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

These are going to become the most beautiful type of chilies ever! :stew1:

Logan, Clay_22 and Pacnorwest like this.
  11. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Oreti thank you… appreciate your support. IMG_7444.jpeg
    New bloomers from today.

Jewell, Sjoerd, Logan and 2 others like this.
  12. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

IMG_20240404_192325_(864_x_1536_pixel).jpg

Daniel W, S-H, Oreti and 2 others like this.
  13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Gorgeous pot, Loggie. It is very Springy. It puts a smile on my face.:)

14. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Thank you Sjoerd

Pacnorwest likes this.
  15. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Logan I double what Sjoerd said…Gorgeous container full of spring bulbs./blooms are always full of smiles.

Brought in more camellia’s.
    IMG_7531.jpeg

Podophyllum’s - Mayapple.
    IMG_7533.jpeg

Podophyllum - ‘Spotty Dotty’ - Mayapple.
    IMG_7532.jpeg

Daniel W, S-H and Logan like this.