What's looking good in May 2024

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Logan, May 1, 2024.

1. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Thank you for you comments Sjoerd . Eyeball springs it is to be sure your eyeballs pop back in place…can’t risk
    missing all the new blooms of spring. And just checked out your old post in your link... now I need springs for my eyeballs… All your lovely flower blooms and the blue lilac blooms are gorgeous. It grows like a weed here.
    Can’t wait for some veggie pics….this summer.

Daniel lovely yellow peony and poppies.. so beautiful. I see a couple iris?
    And very good to hear your pleased with the new roof. A few days of seriously unpleasantness once complete the beauty of the new roof lasts for years. totally gives a whole different dimension and vibe to your house.

Oreti thank you for your kind words on my rhody’s. Really are nice in bloom the rest of the time they are just blah…
    Your garden is beautiful and such a variety of plantings. I always look foreword to your garden pics.

Oreti, Sjoerd and Jewell like this.
  2. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Thanks everyone for the marvelous reminders of spring.
    @Pacnorwest Loved seeing your old rhodie. I left a similar one behind and it was wonderful
    @Oreti i did not know starting peonies from seed was a possibility. Great success there.
    @Daniel W your roses have such a nice variety.
    Everyone’s garden is much earlier than mine. Have been transplanting and dividing for hopefully developing a cottage boarder along the front fence (eventually).
    Did get some of my beloved trillium’s relocated this week and more Patriot hostas. The green and white varieties give more life to the hillside. My love of the blue hostas has waned as I recognize the need for variety in the small areas I am actually planting out.

patriot hosta
    IMG_8835.jpeg

Newly transplanted trilliums placed along hillside path

IMG_8834.jpeg
    First frost hosta
    IMG_8833.jpeg

2nd year Lupine just beginning to bloom
    IMG_8832.jpeg

Last edited: May 26, 2024
    Sjoerd, Cayuga Morning, Oreti and 3 others like this.
  3. Jewell

@Logan love seeing the foxglove. I have been waiting impatiently to see the ones in my yard bloom. My favorite self sewing cottage garden plant, along with the fern leaf bleeding hearts. Plants that tell me I am home:like:

4. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Sjoerd, Oreti and Pacnorwest like this.

Advertisement
  5. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

My Baby Peony...

IMG_20240526_163638_burst_01.jpg

Mock Orange just beginning to pop, unfortunately not a lovely double like @Daniel W 's
    IMG_20240526_163149.jpg

Pretty ordinary fern , we have them dotted around the garden. Screenshot_20240526-171139.jpg IMG_20240526_135340.jpg

6. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Jewel adore all your beautiful blooms and hostas. Lovely garden style. Your garden is gorgeous and the diversity of plants is always a nice balance all season. I spied the trilliums and colorful lupines. Yet my lupines are just starting to bloom.
    I see your in zone 7b -Puget Sound area - I would imagine there is a lot of marine layers in your area. I’m in NW Oregon zone 8-b .

Every time I think of the Puget Sound area for some odd reason ‘Galloping Gertie’ always comes to mind. Years ago collapse of the bridge from the wind. What a site to see back then…

Oreti I’m never disappointed when pics of your lovely garden appear. A beautiful scene any time of year and always maintained so beautifully. Lots of ferns in a garden are always a welcome sight.
    Mock orange is very fragrant & very nice touch. I’m afraid the gophers got mine..again. And the peony looks like it may have a tiny bloom ? I have lot of my early bloomin peony’s have bloomed , now the mid term are setting bloom and a tree peony is taking its sweet ole time. I think we are in similar growing zones.

Cayuga Morning, Oreti and Logan like this.
  7. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Lovely pics @Oreti and your baby peony is coming on nicely.

Oreti and Pacnorwest like this.
  8. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Many thanks @Pacnorwest and @Logan .

I really hope that I can keep the Peony going.....it's another beautiful reminder of my lovely parents and my childhood garden that they loved working on.

Mum and Dad having a break from a gardening session...Mum wither tea and Dad with his pipe.:smt055 Not forgetting Jason ( a Labrador break), he lived until he was 19 yrs old.

IMG_6059.jpeg

Sjoerd, Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  9. Jewell

@Oreti I can smell your mock orange. They are one of my favorite shrubs in the spring. Nice to see you peony coming along. In my opinion there is not a common fern. I am fern obsessed. Nice photo of your folks :like:

@Pacnorwest depends where on the property the lupine are whether they are blooming or not. The hillside provides microclimates in abundance with wind, shade, glacial till and the foot of mulch I’ve added to small areas. My peonies have buds, the tree peony under the lilac bloomed in April. First time since I’ve been here. Was amazed at the size, but it only had one bloom. IMG_8566.jpeg

Sjoerd, Oreti, Logan and 2 others like this.
  10. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

That is a huge beautiful tree peony. Looks like a million.

Jewell, Sjoerd, Oreti and 1 other person like this.
  11. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Oh that Peony bloom is gorgeous @Jewell .:smt049

Jewell, Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  12. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

@Oreti great to see your parents.
    @Jewell that peony is amazing.

13. Oreti

Oreti In Flower

Aww thanks @Logan such lovely parents , miss them so much everyday still. Never had a day without either seeing them or having a chat on the phone. I like to think of them as Mum doing the gardening and Dad walking all the dogs up above.:):smt060

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Such dramatically beautiful plants and gardens you folks are showing.

15. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Pacnorwest, Sjoerd and Oreti like this.