What's Looking Good in October 2022

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Zigs, Oct 1, 2022.

1. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Last edited: Nov 1, 2022
    Logan likes this.
  2. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Biggie the pumpkin.. next to collie and border collie showing my largest pumpkin this year. 43C118FE-1AB5-41B3-A0AC-B6DD073DE174.jpeg

Frank, Melody Mc., Logan and 2 others like this.
  3. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

[​IMG]

I have that growing here, and can see the flower and variegation is very similar. I cannot see any leaves on your shrub that look remotely like the holly shape though, although these kind of plants can revert to another shape.
    As I mentioned before, these two - the Osmanthus and Elaeagnus are about as close as I can get ...for now.

Melody Mc. and Logan like this.
  4. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Thanks
    I think that mine reverted, i remember now but here's a pic of the stem that you wanted.
    IMG_20221101_110737_(864_x_1536_pixel).jpg
    I do have a 40 year old book that's got shrubs and trees in it called the tree and shrub expert.
    IMG_20221101_075600_(864_x_486_pixel).jpg

Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.

Advertisement
  5. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

@Pacnorwest I'm not sure but I might be in zone 9 or 8.

6. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

It could just be that your hubby could be right. I found some text from a knowledgeable plantsman online as follows -

''Sometimes the plant is tricky to identify. Not only does it vary in leaf color and shape, but it also has distinctively different leaf margins. They depend upon whether adult with smooth leaf margins or juvenile foliage with incised or toothed leaf margins are present.

As far as telling holly (Ilex spp.) from false holly (Osmanthus spp.) leaves, true holly leaves are alternately arranged. Leaves found on false hollies are oppositely arranged.''

Now for the begging question :)(my begging face) If I remind you in the new year when the cutting material is ready, would you consider sending me a few cuttings in the post please?

Pacnorwest likes this.
  7. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

Very nice pumpkin - but it's the dogs I like best - gorgeous :smt060

Melody Mc., Pacnorwest and Logan like this.
  8. Logan

Logan Strong Ash

Thanks Tetters, I don't mind doing the cuttings but never sent any through the post before, so i don't know how to go about it.

9. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Tetters.. getting those two to sit still for a second is a major ordeal.. thank you
    collie - Gracie and border -Sadie they are so smart they bring lots of fun and laughter. I have so many stories about their antics like lil pre schoolers.

Logan, Tetters and Melody Mc. like this.
  10. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Simply LOVE this picture! That should be on a Calendar at your local Pet Store or SPCA - we have competitions like that here. :) I bet those two keep you happy busy. What will you do with the pumpkin? Any competitions around? you would need your tractor to load it. ;)

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  11. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

in the many tv garden shows from the UK , it’s seems we are in similar zones. I’m in zone 8b.
    In the Pacific NW though I am up higher in elevation than UK . We have a lot of marine layers in winters and the region I am in is considered the banana belt due to the mountains protecting the area from severe storms.
    But in the recent past few years with the climate warming /cooler issues the weather has been off the charts literally. LaNina And ElNino both have often been more more extreme than the past 30 years.
    I have also seen in the news that the UK has also experienced higher heat in summer and cooler winters than usual. I saw a report where it was so hot last summer in the UK that the runways were buckling from the heat .
    Let’a keep our fingers crossed that we don’t have any extreme winter storms this winter. Last year the winter here was a real zinger.

Logan likes this.
  12. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Mel… Thank you … Sadie and Gracie are always helping … Gracie comes running from nowhere and helps me get up when I get stuck on the ground, she’s a big collie and so sweet. Sadie teases me by fake biting at the flowers so she gets my attention by saying ‘No Sadie’ plz don’t chew up the flowers. They are all so much smarter that you think.

Logan and Melody Mc. like this.
  13. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

That is very sweet. :heart:My Angus does the same as Gracie when we try to walk on the snow crust. I fall through and can't get one leg out while the other is on top. Out of nowhere - there's Angus and I use his shoulder to get up. We would be lost without them wouldnt we. :heart:

Logan and Pacnorwest like this.
  14. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Young Pine

Mel Angus is a helper, knows when to pop in and take over, they are loving spirits that are so loved .
    My dogs have been so much a part of my life , they are family members. As with anyone who has pets they truly do hold a special place in our hearts. ❤️ I would be very lost with out them and the horses… well the cat he’s there to…chasing the gophers, mice. They all work together with their own special talents. So much help around here in more ways than I could ever imagine.

Melody Mc. and Logan like this.
  15. Tetters

Tetters Young Pine

DSC02001.JPG

I so miss my dogs Tinker & Lucky. Lost one this year and one last year.

Melody Mc., Pacnorwest and Logan like this.