What's your craft project this winter?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by muddypaws, Oct 18, 2011.

1. muddypaws

muddypaws Seedling

Besides looking thru garden mags and trading seeds, I like to do some new craft projects to keep the winter blahs away.

This year, I'm going to try some mosaics. I got some different size stepping stones and a bunch of different colored plates from Good Will to break up and make some mosaics from. I've been checking the internet for ideas on easier patterns to start out with.

Anybody have plans for this winter?

kathyd likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

I'm starting in on cutting paper snowflakes. I usually do about a hundred for my windows. This year I read of stringing them together to make a curtain of sorts, so I will need even more...gotta get snipping. :-D I've included two links below of a video I made of how to cut them...in case anyone is interested. The first shows how to cut, the second shows how to press them between wax paper so that they have weight and are protected from condensation on the windows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7M7fKbYkRE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09T70HkfsbU

4. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I don't do crafts but I do have about 8 bowling balls that I make lady bugs into. I plan on making more this winter. The hubby has to cut them in half and then I will get on my way.

[​IMG]
    Lady Bug ( photo / image / picture from waretrop's Garden )

They actually have the cutest eyes and nose to boot.

Barb in Pa.

5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hopefully I will be able to set up my card making supplies and do some stamping. It's been forever since I've been able to do any.

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've already made a start even although it isn't winter yet. Over seventy Christmas Cards are done and I plan on making more as well as calendars, boxes and some crackers.

7. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I found a jelly cupboard that I plan to paint and turn into a towel cupboard for our bathroom remodel. I have a really neat waterslide decal that I want to put on it. Does anyone have any advice on the decal process??? I also plan to restore an old medicine cabinet for the remodel, probably from the 30's or 40's (I think) :p

8. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I will be making lots of chainmail jewelry and possibly cloaks...I sold my first cloak today!

9. thepondlady

thepondlady In Flower

I have 3 wonder horses that I want to convert into Carousel horses. and make some bowling ball bugs.

10. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

11. kathyd

kathyd In Flower

Wow! Love the lady bugs. I would like to make a Wardian case too. Great ideas...winter isn't discouraging if I have a lot of good projects to do.

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Good heavens, where do y'all get the energy--Wardian cases, ladybugs, snowflakes, painting cabinets, cards! :setf_049:
    I'll just feed chickens (maybe there's a craft out there that uses chicken feathers), and bake bread.

13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Jane, Up here I have to shovel a path to the chickens every day, and this year a path to a new dog. then I come back inside after the chores are done and sit gloomily in front of the computer and the front window looking at the snowflakes piling up, never seeing a ray of sunshine. BLAH!!!!! We are close enough to Lake Erie that we get a lot of clouds and snow. Last year it snowed every day of the winter, but it did keep my husband employed all winter. So hopefully I can keep a project at hand to keep me from getting too depressed since I can't go outside to do any gardening. Maybe I could come down there and help you feed your chickens. :p I think I would like the weather better than here.

14. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

marlingardener and Carolyn, I feed chickens all winter also. My hubby feeds them in the summer when it's still light when he comes home from work and I do it when it is dark by the time he gets home from work.

Everyone inspires me. You are all so interesting.

Barb in Pa.

15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Carolyn, we spent 25 years in upstate New York near Lake Ontario, so I know what you mean about the snow and the blahs. Don't you just hate the words "lake effect"?
    Barb, I've been called a lot of things, but "inspiring" is new--thanks!

carolyn likes this.
  16. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Every year at this time I start telling myself that the winter project will be learning to spin. So far all I have perfected is spinning clockwise, I still stumble a lot on the counter-clockwise direction. :rolleyes:

Actually I am hoping to figure out why my Ashford traditional spinning wheel and I have such a torturous relationship with me always ending up threatening to chop it into firewood. I believe it knows that we do not have a wood burning stove or fireplace therefore it knows that is an empty threat.....I sometimes think I can hear it chuckle as I stand up and walk away after one of our sessions.