What's your craft project this winter?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by muddypaws, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I don't really have a 'craft' that I like to do. During the winter months I am home and like to work on our house. Last year, we renovated our kitchen. This year the laundry room and living room is on the list!

2. muddypaws

muddypaws Seedling

I saw a nice idea today, to take old Christmas cards and cut them into shapes, bells, santa hats, whatever and use them to hang on presents as tags. I also plan on making more seed packages from those colorful calendar pictures. I am collecting plenty of seeds from my garden this month. :stew2:

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Winter blahs? What are those? I keep busy enough doing every day things that I wonder where I can find some more time. I volunteer at the library. I just started back after my hectic summer. One day so far and two when I work up to it. I sew my aprons and tote bags. I have a quilt started for a grandson that needs finishing. I should think about Christmas, I guess. That will take some sewing. I made aprons for two of my grandsons and they loved them. I made aprons for my oldest son and youngest grandson for their birthdays. I need to think about making something besides aprons and tote bags I guess. Maybe I'll look in some books at the library and see if I can get some inspiration. I've lived in Texas for three years and in Arizona for 20 years so I haven't had to worry too much about weather making it too hard to get anything done outside. I'm glad people can adapt and find things that need to be done inside when the weather is too bad to be outside.
    dooley

4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

[​IMG]

I am learning how to knit socks. I am making a pair of brightly colored ones for our college-age daughter. i lnow she will love them, mistakes and all.
    ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

Advertisement
  5. muddypaws

muddypaws Seedling

cayuga --
    Those are beautiful colors! :-D

6. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

There's not that many days during the winter here that you HAVE to stay indoors. If it's cold and sunny... things can still be done outdoors. I'm planning on extending and building more flower beds. For those days that's too miserable to be outside, I'd like to make another of those junk-sun-catchers for my brother. The other days will probably be spent cleaning or just kicking-back.

7. Cayuga Morning

Thanks Muddypaws.

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Cayuga, have you tried the 'toe up' sock pattern? I have one started and restarted and restarted...trying to get the stitches even and small. Once I get that perfected the rest of the sock will be a breeze.

I love the color of your yarn.

9. Cayuga Morning

Thank you toni.

No I have not tried the toe up version. I know it is supposed to be easier to get the right size that way. I just was emailed a photo of my daughter's foot so I could get the size right. Of course, the photocopier she used shrank her foot, so it is no help at all! Fortunatately she told me her foot is about 24 cm long. I'll go with that.

This is my first sock attempt and I am enjoying going to the class so I can get help. The hardest part was the heel. I am hoping the toe will be easier.

Good luck with your toe up version. If it goes well, would you be willing to email me the pattern?

[​IMG]
    Daughter's foot. Doesn't exactly help with sizing. ( photo / image / picture from Cayuga Morning's Garden )

10. Karrma

Karrma In Flower

I go skiing all winter long. Will post pictures. I hope to finally be able to sit down and write up some info on the herbs and lavender, etc.

11. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

A friend was throwing away this chair,..but i took it and intend showing him just what can be done to restore it.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Philip Nulty's Garden )

Painting Kitchen and Bathroom is also on the list,

12. Cayuga Morning

Philip--In my family, we would say that that chair has "good bones", ie well worth saving. Good luck with it.
    Karma--Skiing is good. Great exercise.

13. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Philip, I like your old chair! I seem to have an old chair obsession. I think I got it from my Dad, he had an antique shop, and loved to repair and restore old furniture. I pick up chairs at sales all the time. We have plenty of places for company to sit and rest a spell. ;)