What's your favorite scent in the garden?

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Frank, Aug 14, 2015.

1. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I love the scent of cut grass :heart: Or the mixture of smells following a fresh rain after a dry period of weather
    What are some of your favorite scents in the garden?

eclecticgarden likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I agree the smell of newly cut grass is almost intoxicating Frank. There are other scents throughout the year that I love too:- hyacinths, lilac, a crisp autumn morning with a touch of frost on the ground. Roses, honeysuckle - oh so many different scents that it's hard to choose just a few.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The purple Iris I call my Popsicle Ladies early in Spring. Second in Spring is the Ligustrum. The fragrance of ozone in the air just before a good rain. Autumn has a very welcoming feel and fragrance for me. Even a snowy day has a special fragrance if you pay attention and that is one of my favorites.
    Newly mown grass is not particular pleasing to me.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

The scent of freshly mowed grass, or a freshly cut hay field--intoxicating! I do admit that here in our gardens, the scented roses are my favorites. Walking to the barn in the early morning and smelling the Marie Pavie, the Lady Hillingdon, and Maggie gives me a smile, coming and going to the barn. Smelling what is awaiting cleaning in the coop--not so much . . . .

Advertisement
  6. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Fresh mown grass, the smell of the air after a spring shower, peonies, lilies, phlox, a fresh sliced tomato or melon, fresh tilled soil. There's a lot of smells I enjoy in the yard and gardens.

7. eclecticgarden

eclecticgarden Seedling

I have to agree that freshly cut grass is one of my favorite scents as well, but my absolute favorite is lavender. I will run my hand through the plant every time I pass it just so I can get a good whiff. I also run my hand through it any time I'm in Lowe's or any garden center. The best thing is that it lingers on your skin so you can enjoy it even after you've walked away from the plant.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

To me, there is no smell out in the garden that compares to the Lilac blooms! I have an ancient Lilac outside my kitchen window, and when its in bloom the kitchen smells amazing!

9. 102christa

102christa Seedling

Jasmine :heart::flower:

10. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Netty, I agree with you on the smell of lilacs in bloom. They were my favorite flower for years until I developed an allergy to them. :mad: The flowers with the strongest smells seem to bother me, the ones that perfume the entire yard, but the softer fragrances like peony, lilies, etc. are the ones I can still enjoy. :stew1:

11. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Lilac

12. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

Orange blossoms - or any citrus flower, actually.
    That's what Heaven smells like in my dreams. ;)
    I grow Key Lime, Meyer lemon and Kumquat, all in containers - stepping into the glasshouse in late winter and early spring when they are blooming is just incredible - I wouldn't even mind if they didn't yield fruit, but it sure is a nice bonus. :D

13. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

I like lilac, roses, mint, rosemary, lavender, soil, dianthus...Im sure theres more but I cant think of em just now :D

14. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Freshly cut grass is one of my favourites too. I love the Lonicera periclymenum. We've got the wild variety outside the front door. It blooms around mid-summer. Every time we open the front door the house is filled with the fragrance. Also, the old rose types we call vicarage garden roses. One might be Rosa x alba. They bloom a bit later than the Lonicera. Then we've got the Corsica mint, Mentha requienii. I pet it in the passing. The blue Corydalys has a warm, strong vanilla scent. Oh, and the sweet scent of the primroses of course. And, and, and... *lol*

15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

This is my second "favorite scent" post, but I had forgotten to list freshly turned soil. My husband tilled one of the smaller vegetable gardens and one of the large ones, and on my way to the compost heap the air was filled with the scent of freshly turned earth. Now that's a scent beloved by all gardeners!

16. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well Frank--you know, I have been back to this thread a number of times now, and the word that stumps me is "favourite". I just cannot think of a favourite one...I plant my garden with fragrant plants exactly because I like their fragrances quite a lot in the first place. To compound my frustration with responding here is the fact that I have selected and planted with the plan that when one plant stops blooming, another takes its place ....and so it goes throughout the season.
    I have chosen plants with distinctively different fragrance qualities...or shall I say, different types of fragrances. Take just four plants--Mirabilis, Pholx, Philadelphus and the Lonicera x italica "Sherlite" Harlequin.--Plants with bloom fragrances that are so different that I just cannot choose easily.
    You did ask for a choice though, so I will say, Philadelphus.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    Cayuga Morning and Frank like this.