Whats your favourite vegetable?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by playtime8978, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Home grown tomatoes!!!
    Only two things in life you can't buy-
    Thats true love, and home grown tomatoes!!!
    :D :D :D

2. PaloAltoMark

PaloAltoMark New Seed

In the winter it's probably chard because it can be grown in the "off season" and is so versatile.

moderator's note: removed website link, see point 1.1 of usage rules

3. HomeLoverSue

HomeLoverSue New Seed

Probably sweet potatoes... They're great all year round, and so healthy! But I also love brussel sprouts... and even though I know it's not really a veggie, I live and breathe for avocado :)

4. rgasperson

rgasperson Seedling

Tomatoes are not a vegetable right, so I can't pick them as my favorite.

I would have to say Squash. I can use them in so many ways. I can boil them with onions and eath them strait. I can grill them on the BBQ. I can batter them and fry them in a pan. They even make a fantastic addition in out Zuccini Bake. I love squash

Advertisement
  5. Farmer_Dave

Farmer_Dave New Seed

Tomatoes

My all time favorite vegetable is tomatoes, although they are actually considered a fruit by some. I love them fresh and in the stew, if we didn't have tomato sauce all winter I don't know what I would do.
    If you love asparagus you really need to grow some there is nothing like fresh raw asparagus shoots while your grazing in your garden,
    Happy growing and eating
    Farmer Dave

6. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

There is no one favorite vegetable. I woulod have to opt for vegetable soup! I know, thats cheating, but I like all vegetables.

7. live2garden

live2garden New Seed

I would have to say a garden ripe Tomato! They are really hard to beat for the flavor.

8. MuddyKnees

MuddyKnees New Seed

Ha! Yup tomatoes are great, whatever they are..
    But.. a really great sweet corn is also neat. But maybe they are a cereal, not a vegetable..
    Hey//let's settle this.. whatever you find listed under vegetables at your online seed outlet.. is a vegie, OK? Anything under fruit..is..and so on..
    And what about a home grown min rock melon? hey? I have them now ( it's late summer in Southern Oz) in 3 varities.. Wow! flavour beyond belief.

9. newgrow

newgrow Seedling

I did not read all posts so..... But I am going for Green beans steamed (fresh not caned of coarse) unless home caned whole new ball game! and Broccoli. but the weird thing is I will eat Brocc any way it comes but I can't stand it raw even with sauce.

10. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

favorite vegetable

Mine is Asparagus too. Ours is in the box garden. The plants were large last year with pencil shoot. I hope it gives up some this year. I've just planted another favorite, Beets and Spinach is doing real well.

11. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

I believe mine would be the one that is producing at the moment.

12. tonya

tonya New Seed

dear playtime8978 who is your signature???that is the best quote! loving it!tonya 8) 8) 8)

13. tonya

tonya New Seed

if tomatoes are the fruit of the gods i shall live in peace in a heavenly vegetable nirvana as long as there is mayonnaise and wheat bread :) :) ;) ;) :)

14. happyzinnia

happyzinnia Seedling

Home grown tomatoes top the list, but right now it's sugar peas that mostly don't make it to the kitchen, into my tummy as I look for them. lol

moderator's note: changed to proper use of upper and lower case letters

15. enkagrl

enkagrl New Seed

LOL This is reminding me of that scene in Forrest Gump where Bubba is talking about all the uses for shrimp.. :D

As for my favorite veggie.. Squash or Pumpkin, specifically a kabocha pumpkin.. I love pumpkin pie, the kabocha is small enough to hollow out the center & make a coconut custard inside.. You can fry it, bake it, use it in miso soup or doenjang chigae.. You can eat them mashed or whatever!!! They're just good!! And I loooove squash, too.. Zucchini.. Makes great noodles, it's good in salad, in soup, raw, etc.. I really love those zucchini boat pizza things... They're like French bread pizza, but you use a zucchini instead of the bread. :)

Oh.. And eggplant. I love eggplant (aka aubergine, as someone else mentioned! :)) Eggplant Parmesan or thinly sliced eggplant as a replacement for lasagna noodles... Simply delicious!!!

Oh.. And I loooooooooooooooooooooove GARLIC!!! I eat it raw. I would do that everyday if I could... But people complain after a while. :( lol