whats your favourite way to cook the humble potato?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by playtime8978, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Griphook

Griphook Seedling

I'm allergic to potatos and can't even be in a room they are being cooked in.

2. cajunbelle

cajunbelle Daylily Diva

I like them all ways too, nobody mentioned hash browns, very tasty. I also make an Italian sausage and potato soup that is yummy.

3. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

You could never live in my place.
    Potato farmers on both sides..LOL
    Sure death huh?

Were beef farmers.

4. riragirl

riragirl New Seed

Potato salad. So many variations to choose from. That of the southern variety is my favorite :stew1:

Advertisement
  5. veebur

veebur New Seed

Okay! What a great subject. I love baby reds roasted in the oven, pan fried home fries with onions, fingerlings in a fritatta and, of course, garlic smashed potatoes.

Try this for an interesting potato salad: nuke some potatoes for about 3 minutes or until tender. Let cool. Slice up and throw in some scallions, herbs and diced hot dogs. Toss in some olive oil, salt and pepper and you've got a quick summer lunch. For my fellow vegetarians, use something like Tofurkey sweet Italian sausage instead of hot dog.

Vic

6. CritterPainter

CritterPainter Awed by Nature

just an observation about potatoes, everyone seems to like them, but does anyone like them without anything added? I think what many folks (myself included) like is the sour cream, butter, cheese, etc. and not so much the potato at all!

7. veebur

veebur New Seed

You know, I think Mary has a good point. How many of us actually just eat a potato without something in/on it. Now, fingerlings might be okay that way as they're quite buttery tasting and tender.

My husband likes to crunch on raw potato -- don't know where he developed that interest but he has it.

Vic

8. playtime8978

playtime8978 In Flower

I like chips and Boiled potatoes just as they are but I think you may be right I do like potatoes with something on them but thats what I love about them that they are so versatile and the potato flavour is sill there so I am sort of in the middle of this one I could never imagine eating a raw potato though .

9. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I love them pan fried till crispy with ketchup!!
    Don't eat too many like that any more. Trying to be healthy and yes, eating healthy sucks!!!!

I made a killer potato soup not too long ago for the boys at work. They devoured it!!

I'm happiest when I'm feeding people! :p

10. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

i was just wondering if those of you who can't eat potatoes due to health problems, could eat sweet potatoes? we've been eating a lot of them the last few years, and are going to grow some this year in the gardens.

i love to slice them thickly and mingle them in a combination of olive oil, balsamic vinegar, crushed garlic, a little dry mustard, paprika and fresh parsley, then grill them in our George Foreman Grill!!!!! YUMO! :D

11. Pricklypear

Pricklypear Seedling

Mock Baked Potato

I've never met a potato I didn't love.
    So I couldn't say this recipe is my absolute favorite. But, it's delicious and a real time saver.

I was going to serve twice baked potatoes for company. I got sidetracked and apparently had a serious, senior moment. I forgot to turn on the dang oven. So, here's what I served. They are wonderful.

Mocked Baked Potato (Nuked and pan crisped potato halves).
    Scrub two to four baking potatoes. Leave skins on.

Make a slit down one long side of the potato to vent steam during microwave time.

Nuke the potatoes 3 to 6 minutes to half cook them. Do not fully cook the potatoes.

Remove from the microwave. Split in half lengthwise along the slit you made earlier. Make some criss cross cuts (like tic tac toe) about 1/2" deep.

Brush over the cuts very lightly with olive oil.
    Season with garlic salt, black pepper or paprika...whatever you like.

Heat a little olive oil and butter in a heavy skillet. Put the potatoes cut side down into the skillet over medium heat. Brown the tops and turn the potato halves over to crisp the skin. Depending on the size of your potato this can take from 3 to 5 minutes for the tops and a bit longer for the bottoms.

It's important not to nuke the potatoes too long during the pre-cooking because, they will taste like nuked potatoes. (okay but not great). If you do this right, these will taste like they've been in the oven for a long time.

12. Evil Roy

Evil Roy In Flower

Deep Fried!

Of course, that's pretty much my favorite way of cooking just about anything.

So far, I haven't been able to talk Toni into a road trip to this restaurant.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfbTO0GlONU

13. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

bwahahahaha...'Evil Roy Slade'! we just recently saw that movie...really funny!

mmmm...chicken fried bacon... :D

14. Pricklypear

Pricklypear Seedling

Reply about potato toppings

Critter painter got me thinking. Yep. It's those toppings that get me.

I do love my potatoes but I never eat them plain. There's got to be at least a little salt, pepper and butter. But, usually there's gravy, or sour cream, cheese, caramelized onions, ketchup on the fried ones, or salsa. There's beans or peas, bacon, cheese or diced ham in the stuffed ones. Of course there's a zillion recipes for potato salad. Potatoes with eggs and potato and egg burritos.

That's the beauty of the humble potato. You can do just about anything with them. And, they are filling.

Fancy them up just a little and you've got a great vegetarian main course.

Now I'm wondering, is it really the economy or did some politician discover the versatile potato? I'm paying more for potatoes now than I used to pay for pork chops. 'Nuf said. I gotta go add growing potatoes to my garden plan.

15. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I just had a potato for dinner tonight. I like them all the ways that have been described. I couldn't possibly pick a favorite way. When I bake a potato, I wash it real good, poke a couple holes, and then rub it with olive oil and salt and pop it in the oven. I eat it with butter (not so healthy...but good). I usually save the skins till the next day when I sprinkle them with cheese and any herbs tha sound good that day and crisp them up in the oven. Good with some fresh tomato, salsa, or scrambled eggs on top too.