whats your favourite way to cook the humble potato?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by playtime8978, Mar 13, 2009.

1. starface000

starface000 Seedling

I love those. My nanna and papa came from England and they would make them with a big dinner.

I, like everyone else who posted, love potatoes pretty much any way. I don't like tater tots or potato salad, though. One way I make potatoes in summer is to peal and cube them, place them in some tin foil with some chunks of butter, some pepper and a generous amount of Mrs. Dash, and give them to my boyfriend to grill. It's kind of like home fries, but different.

2. ntjones

ntjones New Seed

I'm Irish so I know a little about potatoes and for me there is nothing better the a roast potato with your Sunday dinner, but they have to be par boiled first and the broken up a little before they are roasted, this will ensure that they are crispy on the outside but still fluffy on the inside.

3. Penny

Penny Young Pine

Lots of great ideas on how to serve your potatoes....i love mashed and when i make mine, i add 1/2 cup of shredded cheese and some horseradish to it 9kids dont know) and is it ever yummy!!!

Potato panackes are so good too, good choice Netty~~!!

4. NemaToad

NemaToad New Seed

I'd be very hard pressed to choose one way that I like potatoes best. I just couldn't do it. I Do however go in fads and prepare them the same way for awhile before finding a new recipe to try.
    Lately my two favorite ways have been:

1. Boil baby redskins until fork tender, drain and dry them and put them on a cookie sheet that's been drizzled with olive oil. Next take a heavy drinking glass and use the bottom of it to smash the taters down to about 1/2 in thick. Drizzle them with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and coarse ground black pepper and bake in a 400º oven for 30 minutes to crisp up the outsides of the potatoes.

2. Using leftover mashed potatoes, add a little milk to thin them some and your favorite herb or flavoring. Place one cup of the mixture in a preheated waffle maker or George Foreman grill, close it and cook them until browned and crispy on the outside.
    I really like these in the morning hot out of the waffle maker and topped with sausage gravy.

John

Advertisement
  5. carybria

carybria New Seed

Potatoes mm mm good

Well i love potatoes in all ways but the one I like the best is fried potatoes and onions. Its great anytime of day.

6. Guido

Guido New Seed

In the steam cooker

Together with my vegetables in the steam cooker. I don't claim that they taste much better, but at least I only have to use 1 appliance to cook everything.
    Saves energy although the potatoes take longer than the vegetables, so I'm not 100% sure if the bottom line is positive.

7. ExpressFurnitureuk

ExpressFurnitureuk New Seed

My bad..country fried LOL

My bad, but I prefer country friend. However, scalloped is divine as well. I love au gratin or potatoes with cheese.

But I think my favorite is country friend w/italian spiced on it (garlic, oregano, etc.)

8. ACMPhoto

ACMPhoto Seedling

Oh I love potatoes too - mashed, baked, cut into cubes and BBQed in tinfoil with butter and garlic, gratin, and my latest fav is potato, brie cheese and green apple soup!

9. 3dfan

3dfan New Seed