When reeds take over

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by Danjensen, May 5, 2010.

1. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

We have spent the start of this year trying to get our new garden under control.

the previous owner did some nice things but left it un attended. the main one being the pond.

If you have reeds in your pond keep them in check its easier doing a little bit each year than letting it get this bad.

[​IMG]
    left handside water garden ( photo / image / picture from Danjensen's Garden )

We wanted to reduce the amount of mosquitos this year so decided to pull the lot out. By the time we were finished we had two mounds this big

[​IMG]
    When reeds get out of control ( photo / image / picture from Danjensen's Garden )

I've build a new waterfall for the ponds and we can now think about none invasive pond plants

But wanted to share this warning the reeds had developed about 2ft deep of root system. Which required a saw to cut through.

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

You've put a lot of hard work into clearing those reeds but it's certainly been worth it. Your pond is going to look lovely once you get it planted up. :-D

3. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

thanks eileen

yep probably going to spend a few days at the local botanical garden for ideas.

4. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

I'm sure all that hard work will pay off. That is a very nice pond i must say. Please show us the updated version once you deside on your new plants to go in.

Advertisement
  5. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Very nice pond indeed! I'm trying not to turn green with envy, but I'm having a hard time with it. :D

6. Danjensen

Danjensen In Flower

Yeah we bought the property with about 4 feet of snow so knew there was a pond. but wasn't until it all melted we realised how big it was.

we took the same amount of reeds out last year as well. so you can imagine how over run it was.

any suggestions for plants would be great

7. adavisus

adavisus New Seed

Large aquatic plants do make massive clump forming masses, some faster than others. Reeds, Rushes, Cat tails especially.

In just a few years some can spread fast and mass up huge clumps of roots

Among the aquatic iris you might find some easier than others to keep fairly easy trimmed, not all are huge fast growing beasties

Choice varieties of hardy waterlilies can be found, which do have sedate growing habits

Containerising well chosen aquatic plants, in tubs which can be lifted onto a pedestal or another pot can make it easier to prune excess plants when it is pleasant enough to go for a paddle

Regards, andy

moderator's note: removed website link, see point 1.1 of usage rules

8. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Lotus would be a good choice I think. The flowers are beautiful, the seeds can be eaten and the roots makes delicious soup.

Just my thoughts :)

9. Chubbypoptart

Chubbypoptart Seedling

lotus would be great but make sure you keep them in containers DO NOT just plant them in your pond bottom or they will take over the entire pond! also if you plan on having koi in the pond lotus would be a better choice than lilies since the koi will tear up your lilies and usually leave lotus alone because of the rough stems.