When to start seeds?

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by 2ofus, Mar 13, 2015.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I've got my seed starting area set up and now I'm trying to figure out when to start what. Our last frost date is June first. We grow our tomatoes in an un-heated green house but can protect them if it gets really cold so we normally plant them the middle of May so I'll start them now. I started my broccoli too late last year so thought I start it now also. Is this too early? I'm also trying an early melon (74 days) but I'm not sure when to start the seed, any suggestion's? I live in zone 4b/5a at 5760 ft. elevation which means the nights are always cool if that information helps.

2. Loading...

3. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

2ofus--Here is a great seed starting calculator, curtesy of 'Margaret, A Way to Garden': http://awaytogarden.com/when-to-start-seeds-calculator/
    You figure out your final frost date for your area, punch it in to the calculator, then look up on the chart when to start what seeds. It's simple to use and very cool.

4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Thank you very much. I'm going to print it off and save it.

5. Beeker

Beeker In Flower

That's a great calculator. Thanks for sharing!
    I also ended up googling the hardiness by my zipcode because my location is on a cusp of two zones. There is an entire month of different frost dates over the different parts of my state!
    This website helped, although, it seems like I still have to start the seeds a month earlier than these calculators and books say.
    http://www.plantmaps.com/index.php

Advertisement
  6. Cayuga Morning

Hi Beeker,
    Sorry Beeker, I don't understand. Why do you have to start your seeds a month earlier than the calculators suggest?

I just used your link above for a plant hardiness map, plugging in my zip code & it put me as zone 5b. In the past year, our area was re-zoned to 6a.....maybe this is an old index? Here is another hardiness map: http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/InteractiveMap.aspx This one is put out by the Dept of Ag. It shows me as zone 6a, but just across town is zone 5b.

7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Another really good site. I knew we were suppose to be in zone 4b to 5a but the site you posted, it is 4b. I really like the easy to read planting dates, both for starting seeds indoors and outside.

8. Cayuga Morning

2ofus, Great! I took a page from your earlier posting & printed out the seed calculator for my area too. It prints out just fine (at least on my computer) & I have with my vegie garden info.