Where are all the butterflies?

Discussion in 'Butterfly / Moth' started by AAnightowl, May 8, 2015.

1. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

Normally, I have thousands of butterflies this time of year, especially the Eastern Tiger Swallowtails, both male and females. I also usually have a lot of other species too. All of my spring flowers are blooming or have bloomed including the lilacs, and the Dame's Rockets, red flowering quince, forsythias, etc. I see very few butterflies of any kind, and none of my Eastern Tiger Swallowtails so far.

I do not use poisons, other than a few ant baits around the house, and occasional wasp spray when needed.

Would those big brown hornets get rid of them?

2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Nightowl, nothing has been normal this year. We have had birds arrive late, or not at all; species showing up that we've never had before; and the butterflies are late, also.
    My opinion, based on nothing more than watching what is going on in the gardens, is that our abnormal weather patterns have affected almost everything that flies.
    I don't think the hornets have scared off your butterflies--they have been living in close proximity to each other for decades. I just wish something would scare off the yellow jackets around here.
    Be patient, they will come. Our skippers, Admirals, and Frittilaries are just now appearing, about a month late. Mother Nature seems to be yanking our chain!:setf_032:

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have had two Red Admirals. a Giant Swallowtail, a Gulf Frittilary, several Cabbage whites and the Hackberry butterflies are showing up lately.
    I don't know about hornets but I do know that red wasps will eat the caterpillars.

2ofus likes this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Here in Scotland we haven't been seeing many butterflies this year so far. We did have one or two when we had some good weather but now it's raining again and there's none around. I have butterfly and bee friendly plants in our organic garden but we need more sunshine to encourage them.

Advertisement
  6. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I have seen maybe five or six males of the Eastern tiger swallowtails and a couple of ther females since I posted above. And a few of other kinds. the bees and other pollinators are abundant though. Things are odd this year. we have had temps in the 30 and 40 s this week.

7. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Nightowl, I'm glad you are seeing more butterflies! We are noticing more here, too. We have fritillaries, swallowtails, admirals, skippers, and Mexican clouds. We are hoping that we will see more butterflies when the weather dries out a bit.

8. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    You are all late and we are early by a couple of weeks. Have been seeing butterflies, fledged wrens and hummingbirds. Weather always seems unpredictable, but guess I will adapt. Just can't get to all the weeds this year:notworthy:

9. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

My yard is way out of control this year. My mower is down, despite buying lots of new parts... We still do not have it figured out. I have not been able to mow since April... I will soon have to hire a hay baler to do my mowing. The heat has arrived too.