Where to start to become an Interior Designer?

Discussion in 'Interior Design' started by ThoraLoves, Jan 16, 2008.

1. ThoraLoves

ThoraLoves New Seed

I am really interested in becoming one, so far as a hobby I've only been decorating. Are there books or schools any one can recommend or advice from your personal experiences of this field? Thanks in advance! :D

2. Loading...

3. dirt2diamonds

dirt2diamonds In Flower

Keep up your inquiry. Sooner or later someone will steer you in a helpful direction. Above the quick reply box is a related link of ways to start interior design, check it out. Good luck!

4. designeronline

designeronline New Seed

Most areas have schools that offer interior design certificate programs. Look at the ASID and IIDA websites, these are professional organizations for interior designers and they will give you list of schools in your area. There is a big difference between being an interior designer and a decorator. Basically, anyone can state that they are a decorator (wihtout any education) and seek work. To call yourself an interior designer, you must have the schooling, experience, and sit for an exam called the NCIDQ. Design is a great profession with lots of creativity and flexible hours, but if you work for yourself the money can be very up and down. Also, you need a very thick skin in this business as you constantly are putting yourself and your ideas out there for people to like or dislike. Please let me know if this helps and good luck!

Michelle

5. designeronline

designeronline New Seed

Hi again. I am posting the answer to your question on how I got started in case it helps others.

I had a BA in an unrelated field but wanted to get into design. First, I started taking courses at a local college, they had a 2 year interior design program. I did have to take loans to pay for school but it was worth it. At the same time, I took a job as a receptionist for an architecture firm. There, after a while, I was allowed to do some graphic presentation work and one of the architects let me help him on an interior of a public bathroom - not exciting but a first job of sorts. After I finished school, I was hired as a design assistant for a designer that mostly worked on hotels. I did all the grunt work but did start to get some experience. From there, I fought hard for another design assistant job in San Francisco for one of the best firms in the city. This was really my door opener. I still was only an assistant but I got to learn about the design world on a very high end ultra professional level. After several years of working in the city, I returned to my home town and targeted all the well known designers in the area. One woman hired me as a full interior designer and I essentially became her partner. I was also able to take jobs on my own as I was an independent contractor under her. Eventually, I grew my own business but still work with this woman at times. This is probably more detail than you wanted, but it might help. I worked really hard to create good opportunities for myself. Let me know if you have other questions, I am happy to help.

6. prasunsen

prasunsen New Seed

Amazon.com could be a good starting point. There are books on everything.