Which seeds should I start with ?

Discussion in 'Seed Starting / Propagation' started by Clay_22, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

I have normally gotten all my plants inside and out from the nursery. Years past I've tried growing from seed with the exception of vegetables I haven't had much luck. Any suggestions on what would be my best seed choices to start with as a relative novice ? I plan on transplanting outside ? I live in NY zone 5b. Any tips, helpful hints would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. :stew1:

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Grow lights and a heating mat are very helpful for starting seeds. I grow for a roadside stand and could not start my seeds with out the heat mat for sure. We don't usually have enough sunshine to go without a grow light either. Most of the seedlings need the extended day length that the light fixture provides.

You can improvise for a heat mat, usually, using a heating pad set on low, covered with plastic so it doesn't get wet and short out.Use a thermometer to check the temperature, it shouldn't be over 85f.degrees. A light fixture can be as simple as a florescent shop fixture suspended to hang directly over the seed trays/plants at nearly the height of the seeds or plants. the farther away from the plants the more the plants will stretch for the light making spindly leggy plants.

(We have a Menards close to us and now is about the time they sell heat mats for about $20.00, which I buy them and haven't had any problems with any of them)

On to the seeds, some varieties are harder to start than others. tomatoes being the easiest and peppers next to hardest and eggplant the hardest for me. Tomatoes rarely are hard to start, they hardly even need the bottom heat, but I still wouldn't try without it. Peppers and eggplant can take quite a while to germinate and grow so give yourself enough time to get them started and big enough to put out in the garden. I usually do about 6-8 weeks for tomatoes a 10 weeks for eggplant and peppers once they have germinated...give the peppers 1-2 weeks to germinate and eggplant can take 2 weeks, too. Cole crops don't need bottom heat, but it won't hurt to use it, mostly they need the light.

good luck!

EDITED: I also cover the seeds with a clear domed cover to keep the media moist. the heat pad can dry them out quicker.

This seed starting information is also applicable to flower seeds, IF flowers were what you were asking about. I inferred it was vegetables, but after re re reading it , it could be asking for either. sorry if I mis-read your thoughts.

Philip Nulty and hummerbum like this.
  4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We used to live in upstate NY, and started our vegetable plants. Right now you can start broccoli and cauliflower. Later this month start tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and even cucumbers if you want. We found direct seeding in the ground was best for squash, melons, and the second crop of cukes. Lettuce seed was planted in March, sometimes on top of snow!Spinach and Swiss chard seed went in in early April along with peas. Green beans we planted twice--once in June and again in late July.
    Carolyn gave you great advice on seed starting. If you want to see our little set up, look at my "They're Growing" post on Members' Gallery. We are in Texas, so we have to get an early start on plants.

5. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Clay... are you needing advice on Veggie seeds or Flower seeds?

Advertisement
  6. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I don't do much for veggies but love my flowers :-D Right now I have one little pot of tomatoes and 3 small pots of coleus. Petunias are pretty easy from seed and so are marigolds :p

7. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Flower cherylad

8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Clay, do you have full sun or shade or both to work with?

Marigolds are really easy
    zinnias are very susceptible to downy/powdery mildew making then on my "no" list.
    impatiens really aren't that hard, the seeds are just very little.
    Lobelia likes cooler weather to be productive, the seeds are like dust.
    sunflowers are very easy, but you just need to plant them outside, not in the house.
    rudbeckia is pretty easy, I grew them a few times, there are many sizes and colors available and the texture of the leaves is different.
    Petunias are not hard, but thy start out very tiny as seedlings and take a few weeks to grow to a not so fragile size.
    Nasturtiums, huge seed that needs nicked or soaked to germinate.
    Coleus is a great shade plant and easy to get started.

Just remember that all of these need bottom heat to germinate well and light light light.

9. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Thanks for all your advice - hopefully I will be posting a story of my success on here. I'm going to try marigolds and sunflowers for sure.

10. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

Well I placed my seed order at sampleseeds.com. I started small I got two varieties of marigolds 'Tangerine Gem' & 'Red Marietta', rainbow mix of coleus, rudbeckia 'Goldsturm', agastache 'Fragrant Delight Mix' and purple coneflower with tax and s/h it was under $12. Now we'll have to see how successful I am.

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

good for you and good luck. They all sound like good choices.

12. cherylad

It's fun to grow stuff from seeds. Yes, it takes a little patience, but it's so rewarding when you sit back and think "I grew that from seed!"
    Good luck!

13. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

All my seeds arrived today and they even gave me a free packette of another kind of seed.

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Great! time to get it all set up and ready.

15. cherylad

Let the fun begin!
    Just a side note... I learned the hard way... it's best to start sunflowers outdoors.
    Can't wait to see your seedlings.

16. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

The free seed pack is called Gaillardia grandiflora 'Goblin'. Anyone every grow this before ?