White Acorn Squash

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by PepperDude, Sep 20, 2008.

1. PepperDude

PepperDude In Flower

Ok here's what i have! How about some different recipes on how to cook them.

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh those look lovely - almost to nice to eat. I'd be soooo tempted to paint them and hang them up. :-D

4. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

My favorite way to cook squash is to cut them in lalf, scoop out the seeds, sprinkle int he inside with salt, pepper, brown sugar, add a bit of butter and bake. Cook until tender...Yummy!

5. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

What pretty squash.I cut my squash in half, remove the seeds and put butter salt and pepper cover and bake until tender.

Advertisement
  6. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

I do the same thing basically but i add cinnamon, tastes like pumpkin pie! I also have peeled, and just cut into homefry wedges, drizzled with olive oil, course sea salt, pepper, and then i pick an herb that i want to use for the flavor. my favorite is to use lemon balm and then squeeze lemon and orange juice on them when their done. Ohh yeah, just bake until they are done and nice and golden.

7. petunia

petunia Young Pine

I like your white acorns. Are they the same yellow color inside as the green ones? I also cut them in half, put butter in the middle but add some brown sugar for extra sweetness. bake until soft, done and enjoy.

8. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

beautiful fruits pepperdude!

we have fixed them as the above posts mentioned. one other way i like to cook them is to cut them in half, clean out the seeds, then fill them with a similar stuffing one stuffs green peppers with...rice, hamburger, onion, garlic, mushrooms, tomatoes (sauce), etc... place some cheese on top and bake till tender...sometimes i steam the halves of the squash before baking...makes the time go faster!

9. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I have never tasted them, and I don't think I would manage to eat them because they are so beautiful. :oops:

10. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

I do all the above. I do love them stuffed and I love them cut into chunky chips, drizzled with olive oil and crushed garlic and baked. They are very pretty. I grew them a couple of years ago and they looked beautiful in a large crystal bowl on the dining room table.