Who cooks at your house?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by marlingardener, Jul 9, 2017.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Some husbands/men like to cook, others would live on take-out pizza. Some wives/women like to cook, while others go to great lengths to avoid even entering a kitchen.
    I love to cook, and my husband's contribution to our meals is setting the table and opening the wine. He's very good at it. Once when I was incapacitated with a bad knee, he had to prepare meals. I'd sit on a chair and give explicit instructions. He was so happy when I got better!
    Who cooks at your house? Is it a one person activity, shared between two or more of you, or do you take turns preparing meals?
    (I ask, because at lunch husband and I were discussing our mother's cooking styles. His mom was the frozen food queen, and mine was a self-described "great cook." Not really . . . .)

Henry Johnson and Gail-Steman like this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Depends on where we go to eat....sometime the cook is a male and sometimes a female. But since your question is restricted to inside our domicile I would have to say if anything is cooked here it is by me. And I find it very difficult to cook a meal that doesn't include 1-3 frozen items (meat and two veggies) so I guess that would put me in the Frozen Food Queen category too.
    We have been eating salads a lot lately to cut back on carb intake....Randy for his diabetes and me because I am finding it getting more and more difficult to button and zip my jeans up.

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

I have my own recipes and others(from Joyce's recipe book) I will follow. She follows the contents of her recipe book which contains several hundred recipes. The weekly 'menu' usually features 1 or two days out. Since we only eat half our meal(we don't order small meals) we take home leftovers. 1 meal out = 2 meals for the week, 2 meals out = 4 meals for the week(no cooking, no dishes) :) we rarely do pizza or subs. When I cook I love to experiment. Anything good gets entered into 'the book'. Lunch usually features one of about a dozen items. Nothing fancy. As for me cooking, STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN, it is a one cook kitchen. ......Oops, I better stop yacking,else I start rambling.:rolleyes:

Jerry

marlingardener likes this.
  5. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I cook and dr does the dishes. We do eat out about one meal per day. Sometimes breakfast and sometimes lunch. We have a couple of favorite places and everyone knows us and greets us when we enter. We always have a salad for supper. Lettuce, tomato, cucumber and then whatever is in the refrigerator that adds flavor to it. We do like blueberries, sliced strawberries, mushrooms, mandarin oranges, sliced peaches (chunked up). Just about any kind of fruit except bananas. Squashy bananas don't make it. Other vegetables seem to find their way into salads, too. When the farmer's market is going in the summer and fall there are lots of additions to our salad. Oh, radishes sliced up, too and onions diced. dooley

Advertisement
  6. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I am the cook here. I am also the shopper and so meals depend on what I buy. How creative my meals are depends on how busy I am with work/clients.
    I have had a rule here since I went back to work ... No cook Fridays. I do not cook, nor do I prepare food for anyone. Every man/woman/child for themself.
    I figure since I am still responsible for the same things (cooking, cleaning, laundry, errands, banking etc), even though I work full time and have clients, it's OK for the others to feed themselves one day a week. It's the least they could do :rolleyes:
    In the winter I am home, and so I happily try new recipes and get creative with meals.

7. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I cook all meals except breakfast now, though I did fix Mikes breakfast when he was working. Now he fixes his own breakfast at 5:00 AM. I never ate breakfast until I became diabetic, then it became a necessity. I still have to wait until around 9:00 AM to eat or my food doesn't settle well. Weird huh??? Actually the only thing Mike can cook is oatmeal and grilled meats.

8. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Mainly it is my wife who cooks. I like to cook too, but I don't do it as often. Some of the things we make together, or I get to peel the vegetables.I make preserves as does my wife. My wife is a good cook, so sometimes she slaves away for hours. When I cook, sometimes I get into trouble for the amount of chaos that I create in the kitchen.

9. Chrisle

Chrisle In Flower

Well, I am the cook, baker and chief bottle washer. We grow all our own vegetables. No frozen food unless they are our own veggies. I do all the baking including bread. Hubby does occasionally buy marshmallow cookies. Ah... such an abomination :eek: ! ... Just kidding. I am a retired from the food industry (chef)so I enjoy baking. I keep it simple now though, Nothing fancy. Also, since I live in a small fishing community we don't have to buy frozen fish. Salmon processing plant is just up the road so fresh fish is easily accessible. :)

10. Catdaddy6676

Catdaddy6676 In Flower

We share cooking duties between me, my wife and my daughter. I love trying new things but my wife and daughter are content with tried and true standards (meatloaf, spaghetti, chicken and dumplings, etc).

I have had this recipe before but will attempt to make it myself for the first time this weekend...

11. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Hubby cooks the meals in our house...17yrs we've been together and when we was first seeing one another twice I asked if I could cook a meal and he totally refused and my answer was get on with it :whistling:...after being a slave for my ex-hubby i'll say no more :rofl:

Mind you he does nice meals ;)

20180718_162245.jpg