Who inspired you?

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by marlingardener, Apr 2, 2022.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

What cook, TV chef, or anyone else inspired you to cook?
    Personally, my mother didn't. She was a self-proclaimed "good cook" and did the same bland, easy meals over and over. My husband's mother was worse--take-out or frozen foods.
    When we married, I had no inspiration or model to follow, and that was when I found Julia Child. What a revelation! When I finally figured out what half her terms meant, I was off and running. Thanks to Julia, I am now competent. Paul Prudhomme introduced us to Cajun food, and a variety of chefs helped me navigate Italian food.
    So who got you into the kitchen and enjoying making delicious food?

Melody Mc., Cayuga Morning and Sjoerd like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Zigs

Zigs Young Pine

My Brother taught me how to make French Toast :)

4. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

I'm only "inspired" to switch channels whenever a "food preparation programme " of which there are far too many (they are comparatively cheap to produce) comes on the TV.

5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Julia Child,, Galloping Gourmet and others back in the 60 and 70`s ! That was after my grandmother and mother taught me good old country cooking ! I still love the cooking shows,,gives you new ideas !

Melody Mc., Sjoerd and marlingardener like this.

Advertisement
  6. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

I think it was mostly my Dad. He was an excellent midwestern small town cook - pies, breads, German crepes, potato salad, potato pancakes, chili, fried cornmeal mush (polenta, if you are fancy), pancakes and a lot more. He learned from his mother. I have some of his recipes, so make all of those but also branched out a lot on my own. My mom was also a good home cook, but she was so frail for so many years, so my dad took over and I remember his better. From my mom, I remember her meat loaf, cakes and pies, bread rolls, chili con carne, fried chicken, home made noodles, and cookies.

Cooking my own became a necessity when I became vegetarian, but I love food and flavors, so I learned. I tried for many years to learn to make a lentil loaf to take the place of my mom's meat loaf, but they always crumble so I gave up LOL. I'm learning to make noodles again.

Tart cherry pie from the tree I planted.

59603AD4-340E-4B2D-94B1-6175F8EAABAE.jpeg

Tomato Pie from our garden of course!

D8259FB9-D8D4-40D2-AD51-6425E4FA28D1.jpeg

Thinking about it, it's time for some potato pancakes tomorrow.

7. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Much like Marlingardener, I did not have a kitchen mentor. My mother was a fan of canned peas and powdered potatoes, or a large pot of macaroni with a can of tomatoes to eat for three days. My Dad was a hunter and fresh water fisherman, and my childhood was spent beside him in the bush or on the lakes. Dinner was whatever protien he had caught He was a self proclaimed master of a fire and a cast iron frying pan. "When it's smokin its cookin, when its black its done" was his motto. hahahaha

I would have to say that my son inspired me. He had many health issues as an infant and we spent much time in hospitals. At five months old he was covered in eczema and in the care of a Pediatric Allergist. With his weakened little immune system he had many serious food allergies. At 25 years old I had to learn quickly to bake specialty food items from scratch. Back then it meant grinding my own oats etc to make flours. Gradullay he could eat eggs and wheat, which opened things up. But his soy and peanut allergy had me learning to make doughtnuts, croissants, specialty breads, pizza, ice creams, and pastries. His allergies also meant never being to safely eat out, so the kitchen was always humming. He has an easier time as an adult at 26 now, but still asks for some favourites when he comes to visit.

Sjoerd, Daniel W and marlingardener like this.
  8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Wow Melody, that was something to face as a young mother with a sick child! You overcame it, coped well and now he's grown and has his "favorites."
    Cooking is so much more than just putting food on the table. It's an expression of caring, love, and it's a lot of fun!

Daniel W, Sjoerd and Melody Mc. like this.