Who is trying something new this year?

Discussion in 'Gardening Other' started by Tina, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

Like IndianaGardner I too am going to try a raised bed vegetable garden. I am not as lucky as her to have the beds built yet, hubby is still thinking about it ;) Have got all the seeds ready, baby beets, baby iceberg lettuce, baby leeks, carrots, dwarf runner beans and spring onions. Can't wait for all this snow to disappear so we can get going :)

2. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Fennel and lupine starts

For the first time I planted fennel in the garden last year and it was good, but not very big. Am going to try starting it indoors. We love it in salads, and several dishes my husband prepares. Yummy, sweet. Also am trying to get some native lupine to grow from seed gathered last fall. :setc_084:

3. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

I try Okra every year and never ever ever have any success. They germinate, set about 2 sets of leaves, then slowely whither and die. I have given up on them, which makes me sad, I hate being beaten!

New for this year, Angels trumpets, unusual aubergine rather than the regular big purple boys, different flowers and different varieties of veg, I mean, I have grown lettuce a thousand times, but this year I have some different varieties to try.

4. thesecretgarden

thesecretgarden Seedling

something new

Everyone's ideas sound exciting! I want to try growing herbs. I have read that you can dry them and take an ice cube tray and put like, 1/4 teaspoon or whatever amount you like in each little section and then fill each tray with water. After you freeze them, take the cubes out and put in bags and keep in the freezer and then when you want to use one of your spices just melt the ice cube into whatever you are cooking. The herbs are supposed to last a very long time in the freezer stored like that.

I always have great success starting Zinnia seeds right out in the ground in the spring. I take cottage cheese cartons or medium to large butter bowls and cut the bottom out then push the ring down into the ground and sow the seeds inside the ring to keep them from washing out when it rains. I leave the sleeves on all summer, it doesn't bother the plants as long as you use a large enough bowl not to crowd the growth. Otherwise my seeds always get washed away and hardly get the chance to germinate.

Advertisement
  5. playtime8978

playtime8978 In Flower

All the seeds I am planting are new to me I have not grown anything from seed before, I have a lot already sown and they are doing well, The courgettes are growing strong I am surprised by what strong and large seedlings they are compared to the tomato seedlings which are very delicate, I have a few different packs of flower seeds to sow come the warmer weather most of which wont flower till next year, the little plug plants I showed you are all growing nicely, Everything we have sown so far except orange peppers and the beans has sprouted and look happy, I can see this becoming an addiction, my husband has made a shelving unit with strip lights and we have got the seedlings on there now and they seem very happy, good we have the love of plants in common as I can't do that kind of thing :stew2:

6. OrganicAlan

OrganicAlan New Seed

All Winter Veggies List

Hi,

Since I like fresh green veggies.

And dislike canning and freezing.

Kale keeps in the ground all winter - here in Maryland. It doesn't grow after the frost - it gets sweeter and more tender tho.

Bok Choy seems to keep well too. I mound up grass clippings and leaves on both sides.

THIS year we're testing Beets and Turnips with a TWIST.

A - You eat the tops all year long

B - After the frost you can dig them and eat them out of the ground.

C - I tried this with potatoes and the mice ate them. So I may have to put some wire mesh under or around them - just like I did to save my spuds over the winter.

Alan

7. Vera_eastern_wa

Vera_eastern_wa New Seed

I like to try new things every year too! I know most of the plants but they will be new to my garden.
    It's soooo easy to do too when you trade seeds every year with other online gardeners! This year so far it's:
    1. False Solomon's Seal
    2. Valerian
    3. Lovage
    4. Borage
    5. Pulsatilla (Pasque Flower)
    6. Asclepias tuberosa and A. incarnata
    7. Lychnis viscaria (German Catchfly)

I just may be sowing more new-to-me plants if I ever got off this computer today LOL!

Happy gardening

8. starface000

starface000 Seedling

Everything but pumpkins and potatoes will be new to us this year. We just bought a house and made some gardening squares out back where we want to plant fruits and vegetables. We plan on getting some strawberry plants. And I want to see if the seeds i scooped out of a honeydew melon will grow.

We're also planting some flowers and I started a bunch of tree seeds that we collected last fall.

9. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

The new thing I am trying this year is Composting. Someone gave me a composting barrel sort of thing. I've already gotten some good advice about it from past posts and expert consultation from other stewers. I keep a container on the kitchen counter for my daily scraps and I call it my "garden stew."

10. Vera_eastern_wa

Vera_eastern_wa New Seed

Sure your honeydew will sprout but unless these were an heirloom the resulting fruits will not be the same thing you ate.

11. starface000

starface000 Seedling

Thanks for that information. Now I won't be disappointed with the outcome.

12. lexxivexx

lexxivexx In Flower

Since this is the 3.5th move since I came to the stew, we are starting from scratch once again.

This will be the first year I've rototilled. I've considered raising the beds in fall when everything is done, but there Simply Isn't Time Or Money to do it now.

As far as new tomatoes, I have
    Sausage
    Stupice
    McGee (just for my love of the Joplin tune)
    Eva Purple Ball
    On their way from Victory Seed Co. as we speak.
    Pomodora is the only new seed I have sprouting so far.
    Great White might be the only different start I bought out of the dozen.
    I'm trying Celery, Leeks, Sorrel and a few others for the first time.
    No new flowers/ornamentals to speak of, but next year will probably the time for it. I plan on staying here until we buy a home.
    And the goal this year is full scale canning and storage, to last us through the winter. Hopefully that pans out.

13. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Well lets see, since i moved from the Arctic to the south of Norway, everything will be a new experience. I am going to try my hand at flowers. I bought some seeds in America when i was there, but i have no idea on when to plant here in southern Norway. Foraging will become real foraging only because i have no idea what is around and were it is, so it will be really fun for me when i do come across something edible. I plan on strawberries ofcourse here, but i am wondering if the 2 1/2 hours of darkness will make them less sweet compared to the north. And as usual my herbs.

14. riragirl

riragirl New Seed

This year I am growing sugar snap peas, cucumbers and pole beans for the first time.