Who's Already Planning for 2008?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by rgasperson, Nov 16, 2007.

1. kaseylib

kaseylib Young Pine

It's great that you can get started already. Our 2008 plans are to add more hardscaping...we need to finish our lannonstone path and build a main walkway to the house. I also need to build a fence around my vegetable garden, as all the rabbits now realize that I've got the smorgasboard of good eats in my yard.

2. rgasperson

rgasperson Seedling

I have probably started a little too early. I am not sure. This is my first experience in growing before the last frost. I am not sure anything will even come up. It is all an expiriment. If they come up, I will plant them in the bed after the last frost. If they don't, I will plant the rest of the seeds I have after the last frost. Either way I will learn something.

I didn't have problems with rabits or other critters getting into my produce last year. I think the plants were too close to the house for them to risk the venture.

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Well, the snow is finally starting to melt and the stores are putting out their seeds. I couldn't hold myself back any longer and bought the seeds for my veggie garden! 3 types of beans, peas, carrots, radish, leaf lettuce, Mesclun Mix, cucumber, zucchini, kale, turnip, spinach and pumpkin. I'll buy the tomatoes,leeks, brussels sprouts, cabbage and peppers at the garden center...no room left inside to start from seed. Out in the garden I have rhubarb, asparagus and strawberries.
    Yum - I can taste it already! :)

4. rgasperson

rgasperson Seedling

My Garden Is Growing!

[​IMG]

This is prety much my garden this year. I have two types of tomatoes, peppers, brussel sprouts, bush beans, and Sunflowers. Everything is in pots except for the Sunflowers. I am excited about how it is going to come out this year.

[​IMG]

These are the tomatoes. I have a beefsteak variety and a roma variety. This year I have planted only one plant per container. I did this because of what happened last year.

[​IMG]

My Spinach has sprouted. I should be able to cut something from it in about a month. I'm excited.

[​IMG]

I am pretty sure these are the Brussel Sprouts I planted. The only other thing they could be is the bush beans I planted, but I am pretty sure these are the sprouts.

[​IMG]

My Sunflowers are a little bigger. :)

Advertisement
  5. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

The pic you think is sprouts is definately a picture of a brassica rather than beans. Your tom plants look lovely and strong!

6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

It's going to be very interesting to compare and contrast to last year's results RGA, please keep us updated.

7. rgasperson

rgasperson Seedling

I agree

It is going to be interesting to compare this year's crop and last year's crop. This year, I could not afford to purchase the soil for the plants. I am using the soil from my back yard. It seems pretty rich. I may be asking questions about how to correct nutrient deficientcies in my clay filled soil.

I will try to provide new photographs every week. Time permitting of course.

8. TheBip

TheBip Young Pine

Now Im curious, what did you do last year?

Ive been playing with the idea of growing tomatoes. My grandma used to grow them every year.
    This year I planted corn (red and white Sweet Corn), turnips, basil, beans, pumpkins and watermelons. I had planted a lot more seed, but some never came up and some just up and died. Id used the peat pellets.... I dont think I like them.

9. rgasperson

rgasperson Seedling

10. rgasperson

rgasperson Seedling

[​IMG]

I believe this one is the Beefsteak Tomato. It is doing really well. I am excited at the progress it is making. Behind it is the Roma Tomato. It is a little behind the Beefsteak, but not by much. They seem to be really strong plants.

[​IMG]

This plant was not up last week. It has since sprouted and grown some nice leaves. There is a second sprouting that has shown itself in this same pot, but I don't know if it will survive. I will keep you updated.

11. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

They look good, well done.

12. rgasperson

rgasperson Seedling

My first YouTube Video about this years garden.

I want to post the video, but I am not quite sure how to post it here. If someone knows, please let me know. Until I can figure that out, the link to the video is above.

// edit by Frank - I've embedded the video below:

[youtube]TV9vok4hQWQ[/youtube]

13. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Cool! :D It's nice to hear you and it seems that your babies are doing well.

14. rgasperson

rgasperson Seedling

Yes, I will have to agree. My babies are doing wonderful. I look forward to seeing what they produce this year. The tomatoes and Bush Beans are thriving and I believe the peppers are not far behind. I will have to post more photos soon. Photos seem to show a little more detail than the video.

15. rgasperson

rgasperson Seedling

[​IMG]

My tomatoes are up to the first rung on the wire support. I would sal nearly a foot tall. They are doing so well.

[​IMG]

The Bush Beans are doing very well, too. I am curiuos to see this one grow fruit.

[​IMG]

Pepper is moving a little slower than the others, but still looks amazingly strong.