Why do you garden?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Leizel Schlott, Nov 19, 2020.

1. Leizel Schlott

Leizel Schlott New Seed

Hi all! I personally garden in order to connect with my local community. I work and volunteer for an organization whose mission is to beautify all the towns within my county. We go around to different sites like churches, town halls, various welcome signs, along with other places and we weed, edge, plant, newspaper, and finally mulch. My favorite part is driving around and seeing the finished products. So I am curious, why do you garden?

S-H and AAnightowl like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley In Flower

Welcome to the board.

Well, If I didn't, it wouldn't get done.

Each to their own of course.

But I prefer to keep "the community," out. That's why most of us with urban gardens have six foot high fences around them.

4. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

My one Aunt loved to garden, and my grandmother who I never met on that side loved to grow roses. I have a picture of her and my Daddy when he was little in her rose garden. My Mother's family are mostly farm folks.

Also, I really enjoy working with the plants (my room looks like a jungle), and the peace and quiet in my garden. It is a good place to get away TO.

Attached Files:

Sjoerd likes this.
  5. Odif

Odif Young Pine

It is in my blood. Also I was exposed to gardening and agriculture in my early youth. My gran who I loved most out of my relatives was a fanatic gardener. I am 6ft5 she was 5ft. My great uncle had 5000 hectares at west Kilimanjaro.(https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_William_Lister_Read) He grew lots of pyrethrum. Other stuff too. He had acres and acres of onions.
    One of my other ancestors, planted orchards. Etc etc etc.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I have never not had a garden.never. I use it to contribute to my household. we eat it. we sell it. but mostly I just enjoy it.

Odif likes this.
  7. S-H

S-H Young Pine

I do it mostly as survivalist training and doomsday prepping. I also absolutely hate chemical pesticides. So I like to keep things as natural as possible. But at the same time, I aggressively use technological aids as well, like automatic watering system and growing under artificial lights, plus experimenting with completely sealed off self sustained ecosystems, (growing food in space type of concepts).