Why isn't this Hollyhock blooming?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by toni, Oct 27, 2011.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hollyhocks are another all time favorite of mine that just don't do well for me.
    I moved this one from the back yard 3 years ago when I was getting started turning the front yard into a flower garden. It had been in the back yard, struggling and never bloomed so I have no idea if it's a single or double bloom or what color.

This is as large as it has ever gotten in the 4 or so years I have had it and never once has it attempted to bloom.
    In fact this fall it has almost doubled in size from what it was in June.

Any ideas why it won't bloom? I have fed it with blood meal and bone meal and some all purpose fertilizer plant food but there it sits making a nice clump of pretty healthy leaves but no flowers.

[​IMG]
    Non-blooming Hollyhock ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Generally, hollyhocks are a biennials. this looks like hollyhocks, but maybe with the weather you have had it isn't performing like a biennial. I would reseed some more seeds and get another patch started.

4. toni

Yeah, it's a Hollyhock, I bought the root at one of the garden centers 4-5 years ago and since it has never bloomed I don't have any seeds. I think I remember the package info stating that it was a 2nd yr root so it would bloom the next summer but didn't.

I am just wondering why this one has been growing for over 4 years but never bloomed :rolleyes:

I did recently buy a packet of black Hollyhock seeds that I am going to put out this fall.

5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Maybe you should stop feeding it Toni. The best Hollyhocks around here are the ones that grow in gravel and places nothing else grows.

Advertisement
  6. toni

Actually, truth be told, I only fed it when I first moved it to the front garden 3 years ago. I put the bone and blood meal in the hole with the roots and scratched the other feed into the soil around it. The next spring I waited for it to bloom, nothing. This last spring it was so hot and dry that I just didn't get anything out there yet and the fertilizer obviously wasn't what it needed so I didn't give it anything last spring.

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I am wondering if the ground isn't just too rich for it.
    Mine do best on worn-out groiund, The ones that I have IN the flower garden are all smaller in stature and usually bloom in the third year.

I have read that they like fertile soil, but my "real-time" experience is just the opposite.

I never feed my plants fertilizer.

This is an interesting problem, I hope that you can find an answer. I personally would not transplant it. I have transplanted adult hollyhocks, and sometimes they "take" and sometimes thay don't. Haviung said that, when your back is agaionst the wall, then taking a chanve of putting it in another location may be worth the risk....I mean, you have no flowers now.

Good luck.

8. burrdoc

burrdoc New Seed

Question on plant on right side of hollyhock...What is the name?? It is the stem with thin bushy leaves?? I have this, which is 3 shades of green in spring, does not have a flower... Can't find anyone who knows it ...Thanks !!

9. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

The plant on the right looks like Rosemary, correct me if I'm wrong Toni.

10. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

burrdoc...if it is rosemary, it should smell like, well....rosemary.

11. burrdoc

burrdoc New Seed

Thanks :) The look is very similar, but never (flower) blooms...It has 3 (green) shades in spring, then summers into what is seen in the picture...

12. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

burrdoc, What they mean is if you go crunch the leaves a bit they will smell like the herb...LOL Rosemary

There are other things that look a little like Rosemary but they don't smell..

13. toni

Yep, that's a Rosemary- I believe it's a Tuscan Blue but don't have the label. It blooms in the cold weather, usually Winter through early Spring

14. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I bought a Tuscan Blue Rosemary this spring. I was wondering why it hadn't shown any signs of blooming... thanks for the info.

15. burrdoc

burrdoc New Seed