Wild mice in bird cage

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Edlou8181, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Edlou8181

Edlou8181 Seedling

Well friends I'm here with a new problem.
    There is road work out back of my Apt. which is causing mice to come in the apartments.
    I traps out and caught a few mice and I foamed all the openings to keep the mice out.
    Last night I had 4 little ones in bottem of cage.
    The mice don't go near the birds but they do carry germs and Frack has been a little sick.
    The cage is not small with no bracket to hang it up.
    I thought of putting in a trash bag with the top open.
    The cage sits on a 3 shelf mobil cart when its in the bedroom.
    Any ideas
    Sleep warm
    ed

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. EJ
      Replies:
      Views:

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Ed, Frack will not be happy in a plastic bag, even if the top is open. How about taking Frack into a smaller cage (even a cardboard box) for a bit, taking the mice and the cage outside, taking a nice walk of a few hundred feet, and opening the cage and letting the mice go.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. mart

mart Strong Ash

I assume if the mice can get in the cage they can also get back out. They are eating the seed the birds drop.
    Since birds do not eat at night you can do one of two things. Take the feeder out at night and clean the bottom of the cage. No seed=no mice in the cage, or you can use an old sheet and make a cover for the cage. Just cut to fit and tuck the edges under the cage so there is no opening. Remove the cover during the day and replace feeder. Then use some poison to eliminate the mice in your apartment.

Philip Nulty and Edlou8181 like this.
  5. kate

kate In Flower

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I think I read that mice can get into anything as big as a quarter. I would hang the bird cage from the ceiling. You could put it on a pulley to get them closer to you when you are in the room but when you are out, just pull it up on the pulley and away from things that the mice could sit on and jump onto the cage. Mice can carry disease so you don't want them around. Good luck.

7. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Ewwww that would be super yucky! Can't stand mice or rats creepy crawling about. We have a ban on feeding birds outside right now because we're having a epidemic of mice & rat infestations.

I'd be putting down sticky paper, traps, poison - whatever I could to trap them. I'd actually be putting the birds temporarily into a smaller cage and hanging it somehow (even if off the shower curtain rod) 'til I'd eliminated the mice. Any which way you look at them they pose significant health hazard(s) so getting rid of them fast is best.