Will the rain never cease?

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by fatbaldguy, May 27, 2017.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Here in SW Ohio, USA, I've been on the receiving end of periodic rains of monsoon proportions. Couple that with working 70 hours a week and I've had little time in the garden. I've tomato and pepper starts that are leggy and begging to be planted.

Yesterday I got home with enough time before the next round of rain to prepare the soil for some planting. Got up today around 0400 and waiting for dawn, the dogs came in from their morning ritual wet up to their bellies. You guessed it. We got and inch of rain last night. I guess I'll be planting in some mud today, I can't wait any longer. Any volunteers to come by and weed the asparagus?

2. Loading...

3. Odif

Odif Young Pine

If you charter me a flight, i will come and weed your asparagus for you.

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

.... and I'll send you some of our Scottish sunshine to dry up your garden so that's you sorted. ;) :D

Philip Nulty, Growingpains and Odif like this.
  5. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Wow, you two are full of help today, aren't you............:rolleyes:

Philip Nulty, Growingpains and Odif like this.

Advertisement
  6. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Having read the reply I posted in haste, I realize it could be read the wrong way, no offense intended, sarcasm doesn't translate to the written word very well. I did get 12 sets of Heinz determinate tomato's and 5 Pondersa's in before the rain started again. I dislike gardening when I have to wear Wellingtons.

Philip Nulty and Growingpains like this.
  7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I've got tomatoes begging to be planted too. Also some peppers, onions, kale, cabbage ... The rain just keeps the garden too wet to work in. This is the exact opposite problem I had last season!

8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We are literally spitting dust down here, if you could put up some sort of reflector wall at your state line maybe it would turn around and hang around for a while.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Texas is supposed to be dry, but this spring has put the lie to that little bit of "lore". I can hardly keep up with the weeds, and the grass keeps growing and we keep mowing. Toni, I would gladly send you rain if I could!
    FBG, I sympathize. Sunflowers (not the cute, domesticated ones but the 8' tall, roots to China, invasive ones) were threatening to take over the asparagus bed. We finally got in and yanked them out, but our boots were weighed down with mud, and we have the bed mulched!

10. Odif

Odif Young Pine

The weather report predicted rain for us today, naturally there is not a cloud in the sky. I don't know if the weatherman was being sarcastic or he is just incompetent, and no I am not accusing you of incompetence. Your advice to me about nematodes for yankee beetles was very good and led me to some interesting research.

11. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

Odif, just a bit of information about me. I cannot be insulted. If feelings were necessary, they would have been issued. I have been incompetent in the past, and likely will be so again in the future, so there is no need to pretend differently.

12. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

FBG far from being offended I laughed when I read your reply to Odif and myself. I personally love tongue in cheek humour so feel free to be 'sarcastic' to me any time you want to. :smt045 :kiss:

13. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Oh, another misconception about Texas must be nipped in the bud. Texas is not supposed to be dry, the average yearly rainfall for north central Texas is about 36" other areas receive more some less.... we have not received that much in a few years but in good years we sometimes exceed that amount.
    West Texas from about Lubbock down to the Big Bend/Chisos Mountain area is much drier than here but that is normal for them.

Cayuga Morning and Philip Nulty like this.
  14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I feel your pain fbg. Wet here too. Really wet. I keep talking to the Lord about it but He sees fit to send more. Almost every day. Glad I live on shale and a big slope. 100ft elevation. In 500 ft of distance or there abouts. Nothing level here at all. We had enough rain over night that the huge farmers market I don't sell at had to not open today due to all the water in their park. Ours was a bit mushy but we opened.

15. mart

mart Strong Ash

I can sympathize with FBG. Corn will be ready any day now as well as green beans. Tomatoes are just beginning and I am sitting here watching it come down in buckets.

16. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Odif, yesterday weatherman promised me sunshine and instead I got rain. Perhaps our weather forecasts were somehow swapped?
    I still managed to get some of my veggie garden planted though. I am stubborn.

Philip Nulty, Odif and Growingpains like this.