Willow Pattern Pottery.

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by Sydney Smith, Dec 22, 2013.

1. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi all. A little extension to the topic Pottery and Porcelain here's a selection of Willow Patterned Plates. Interesting in that just about every potter produced their version of it and mostly with those differences which can be seen when comparing them in a group. I have quite a lot of it in several shapes and forms but heres a few plates to see - note that in the older ones the transfer printing is much "softer" edged than in the later more precise printed versions. Times and methods change. Also there was/is a lot of very similar patterns which were basically Willow but had quite different changes added - such as the number of people on the bridge, the birds missing and so on. I have one plate I will show called "Long Bridge Pattern" which is most interesting - this particular one as best as I can ascertain potted around 1800. Syd.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Sydney Smith's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Henry Johnson and AAnightowl like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Kiasmum

Kiasmum In Flower

I remember looking at the ones my Grandma had and spent many an hour during the school holidays trying to spot the differences between hers.Thank you for evoking such a happy memory Syd.
    :D

4. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Karin. Glad you liked the plates and they brought back happy memories for you - heres another variation - note the differences at the top of the plate and also the one man on the bridge. This pattern to the best of my belief is called Long Bridge and the plate made in 1795 - 1800 - it is unmarked so I arrived at that from book comparisons and research. It has no foot rim - three sets of three spur marks to back and three singles on its face. I will be sending more pics to Pottery and Porcelain - have some more cups and also some Chinese items to show. Syd.

[​IMG]

5. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I love the blue Willow Ware! I have some old pieces that are genuine, and I have some modern reproductions too. I like to hang the genuine ones on my wall. I have a lot of blue and white pottery, not just Willow Ware.

I always wondered how they made such intricate patterns on the pottery. And the shades of blue vary considerably also. I would take up making pottery if I had the means.

Advertisement
  6. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi AA again. More pottery comments. I stated ref your P&P comment it would be great for you to send some pics of your items. Ref Willow well just about every Potter in the British Isles made their own version of it and many with just slight differences - also other patterns were based on it. If you are unsure about how the patterns were produced and applied and how the process of production went please do say.
    Syd.

7. AAnightowl

AAnightowl Young Pine

I would love to hear about how the Willow Ware and other patterns are produced. I am always interested in how things are made.

8. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi AA. Pleased to give you an idea but before I do I am going to stress once again as I often do that I am not an expert (in anything) and what little knowledge I have is based on my experiences (whatever) such as they are and readings etc- always happy to be corrected. This is going to be very basic, years since I studied it and I will do my best - open to comment as always.
    Going way back to the late 18th early 19th cent and onwards most of the standard shall we call it "everyday" pottery (and some porcelain but this came in for hand painting a lot) was patterned using what is known as Transfer Printing. Basically how it went was that very skilled engravers using sharp hand tools (like scribers/chisels) exactly cut and reproduced the required pattern in grooves into the surfaces of soft copper plates. These plates were then covered in the required (mostly blue but also reds and greens etc) printing medium (ink/paints) ensuring all the grooves were filled. The surface of the plates was then wiped off clean leaving just the grooves filled. Thin transfer paper was then rolled onto the surface thus extracting the ink from the grooves exactly onto its surface - there was your transfer which was then placed by hand onto the partly furnaced object to be patterned and then into the kilns they went in large quantities for firing - this also was a very skilled operation and was very very much on the "hit or miss" basis relying entirely on the furnacemans ability and experience - the paper burned off during this process which left the pattern on the items surface. These when cooled were dipped into a liquid glaze and then furnaced to the required temperature. If I recall correctly in the very beginning of this process the transfers were produced individually but then a clever chap came up with a method of producing them in rolls. Will leave it there but very briefly what I have said here gives a decent idea of whats with it all. As time went on the methods were improved and improved and today it no doubt is all a computerised process. May I say once again please that its years since I studied this and I ain't got any younger - accordingly do please forgive any errors contained here. Writing it has left me quite exhausted - what's left of my little grey matter is fair jiggling in my skull. Thank you. Regards. Syd.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  9. heathercashart

heathercashart New Seed

Those are so pretty!!

10. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Heather. Glad you liked the Willow Pattern plates. There's more of my own and others pottery and blue and white etc in the Topic "Pottery and Porcelain" - worth a look for sure.
    Do you yourself have a direct interest and collect it - would love to see some of your pics if so. Syd.

11. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi all. Another Willow item. Like the Bacchanalian jug I showed in Pottery and Porcelain I found this small Tureen (about 9inches length over the handles) minus a lid also in a dusty corner in an Antique shop. It had quite a large piece out of it at one end but I was able to fill it and paint in the missing pattern - all this of course strictly to make it nice to display and look at. As stated it had no lid but I am always on the lookout for any spares of these and buy them to keep in case I am lucky enough to find a lidless whatever. This lid it now has is compatible but of a different colour blue and a little later I think - I keep looking and who knows might find a more suitable one. Syd.

[​IMG]

12. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi again. Looking through some as yet unopened boxes of china etc in the garage I found a very good example of modern printing on pottery. These two Willow plates clearly show the difference between this newer what I call "harder" and the older "Softer" transfer printed ware the example here being 19th Century. Syd.

[​IMG]

13. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi all. During the last few days I have looked at many many Cups and Saucers (amongst other ceramics) on many PC Sites hoping to find a particular shaped cup. Most interesting this has been and I saw (and bought) just this morning on Ebay a Willow Cup and Saucer but in colour RED. I have looked at much P & P but never seen this before - only blue patterned. Has anyone else seen this - will send a pic when I get it. Syd.
    PS. Also found an attractive figurine to pair up with one we already have on the Mantelpiece. Will post pic in "Pottery and Porcelain" later..

Pics of the Red Willow Cup and Saucer referred to in last post. Having looked around now there was quite a bit of it about and also green - interesting none the less.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]