Wilted Passionfruit - Please Help!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by soriold, Jul 7, 2013.

1. soriold

soriold New Seed

Hi there,

This is my first post to this wonderful forum and hopefully one of you experienced gardeners can help my wife and I with our wilted (dying) passionfruit. We planted it together with over 300 plants approximately 3 weeks ago in Los Angeles, when the weather was very hot. Even when it arrived, the plant looked somewhat wilted but still nicely green. We then had to go away for a week and the person installing the drip system only provided the plant with 2 minutes of water every day, which I am sure would not have been enough. I attached some pictures and would appreciate any help. Our soil is approximately 60% sand, 30% loan and 10% clay.

Thank you very much in advance :stew1:

Stefan

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from soriold's Garden )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Passionfruit is basically the same as our passion flower I think. If its been just three weeks since they were planted and its been hot and dry as it has been here,,it may take a while longer. The plant has to get those roots settled and that's what is important. Give it a while longer and make sure the root stays moist but not flooded. You should see some growth soon. I would pull any fruit it has now. The fruit makes it harder on the plant taking root. When I transplant passionflower the vine usually dies back completely then the new growth starts.

oubee and soriold like this.
  4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I would cut back the vines too. The plant has been stressed by transplanting then being underwatered right after that. The fruit and part of the vine have to go, it will have a chance to focus on the roots instead of keeping leaves and fruit alive. Once the roots are healed and established it will take off, grow and re-fruit.

It's a Passiflora but I don't know which species.

soriold likes this.
  5. soriold

soriold New Seed

Thank you very much for your replies. I took off the fruit yesterday and will cut back the vine as well. Let's hope for the best.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Strong Ash

Just keep the roots well watered and it should do fine. They are pretty tough plants.

7. soriold

soriold New Seed

Still no luck; the plant looks very wilted even though the soil is moist. Any other ideas? Thank you!

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

I have had some that took a two months before they showed new growth. I thought they were dead so I quit watering, then all of a sudden they started growing. They take a while. Just keep the soil moist but not soggy. That's all I know unless you have a soil problem. You haven`t used any sprays, weed killer, or the like have you?

9. soriold

soriold New Seed

No weed killers, etc. but the soil has been moist most of the time. The thing we noticed was that the plant looked great day 1 in the pot but it wasn't planted until day 2 or 3 because we had 300+ plants arrive that day. On day 2 or 3, however, the plant (in the pot) looked wilted already, which seemed strange at the time. Not sure what is going on but we will be patient.

10. mart

mart Strong Ash

Oh ! I wish you had said that when you first posted. That may be a bug, disease or such that was present when you got the plant. Did you examine the roots before planting ?