Windows 10 will be available starting July 29th FREE

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by SusieQ07, Jun 16, 2015.

1. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

Microsoft has sent a reserve your copy of W10 to your PC possibly? W7 and W8 or 8.1 has 1 year to upgrade Free to W10. It is very different then W7 but very much like W8.1. With several new features, like an all new browser no more IE.

Henry Johnson likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

So glad I am no longer part of that. My youngest daughter still uses Windows, she had a lot of fun beating Vista into submission a few years ago to do what she wanted it to do, so any weirdness with this new one should be easy for her to handle.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  4. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

It may not be as free as you think. As far as I can see it will be only for 12 months, then you would be expected to pay for the Upgrade.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well if it's going to cost money I know my daughter won't install it. She is cheaper than almost anyone I know.

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

As far as I know if you have an existing Windows 7 or Windows 8 license you can upgrade for free for a certain time period. You won't be charged once that time period is over.
    Microsoft are hoping the "app store" built into Windows 10 will allow them to make the money back from giving it away for free.

7. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

I cannot for the moment find the Article which advised against it saying that after 12 months it would act like Ransom ware. Will keep looking.

8. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I found the following to possibly provide some reasoning behind the free upgrade:

More here

9. SusieQ07

SusieQ07 In Flower

Yes. it is Free!! but you have only one year to take the Free upgrade, after that you may need to buy the CD or buy a new PC with W10 version. And Microsoft is hoping to get all onboard with the new OS before W7 & 8 are taken off the market. then we will all get the same updates etc. Microsoft would not make folks pay especially ransom ware come on folks, simply a nasty rumor, probably put out by Apple? lol

10. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Just replaced my 6 year old PC laptop and it came with windows 8.1. I must be getting old because I felt it was slow and clunky with add-ons that I didn't want. Didn't feel any faster than my dying laptop.

At work mandatory State testing has all gone online and Chrome Books were the cheapest way for schools to comply. Microsoft really missed out not having a comparable cheap system for schools early on. With the Chrome books being Google products work uses Google Docs for students and staff as well as Office. Storage capacity was a big factor. Windows OneDrive is just another bother (like having too many USB drives) and a different platform and not all abilities as Office.

Wonder how this will affect work computers? Guess I will have to wait and see what tech does over the summer.

Love my four year old iPad and iPhone and have lost my love of constantly changing OS platforms that lack continuity. Am thinking next time a MacBook Air would be a better investment for this old PC owner.

11. kate

kate In Flower

I ignored the message,

The version I am running works just fine. The machine needs a format but thats all.

Go peddle your versions elsewhere M$...........:smt041:smt026

K

S-H likes this.
  12. Evil Roy

Evil Roy In Flower

The reviews of Windows 10 are positive so far. The problem for users of older versions of Windows (XP, Vista, 8, and others) will be the lack of support for Internet Explorer. HTML 5 is the new way to create web content. the best test of whether or not a web site is using HTML 5 is to try it on IE. If it works, it isn't HTML 5. Microsoft's new browser, Spartan, isn't expected to work on older versions of windows. As web sites convert to HTML 5 , IE users will be left out. your choices will be to either update to Windows 10, or upgrade to something besides Windows. The Windows update is free for life if you take advantage of the offer in the first 12 months. after that, you will be required to pay for the update. My advice, if you stay with Windows, is to wait a month or two for the initial problems to be resolved. You might also look at an upgrade to another operating system. I prefer one of the Linux versions. I use Ubuntu, Toni uses Xubuntu. Of the two, Xubuntu seems to be the most friendly to casual users, but it's best to investigate Linux thoroughly before upgrading. Most versions of Linux are free as are any updates.

13. kate

kate In Flower

I know about HTML5, I subscribe to web site design lists. I also run three sites of my own, personal web sites.
    IE5 and IE6 are no longer supported by M$ and my version is a recent version before 10.
    Why fix what is'nt broke and don't forget the new versions are in beta like most new softwares and as such need to be fixed like all M$ versions. Being bombarded with the new updates for the new version would be a nightmare.
    M$ cannot force anyone to update.
    K

14. Evil Roy

Evil Roy In Flower

Knowing HTML5 won't help if your browser won't display sites that update to the new system. For those that don't know, Flash (it's what drives the flashy, and animated parts of web sites) is being abandoned in favor of HTML5. As sites make the change, IE will be unable to display them. I agree that there's no need to change if what you have works, but IE's days are numbered. Changing to Opera, Firefox, or some other browser is an option, but sticking to IE isn't a long term solution. I also agree that no one can force you to change, but not being able to display major web sites will drive people to change. Remember, Amazon, Ebay, and maybe even Gardenstew, aren't going to stick to a dead technology forever.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2015
  15. kate

kate In Flower

Because I use Wordpress platform for all my sites (does anyone use Dreamweaver anymore lol) I also use HTML5 by default because HTML5 and CSS3 is supported in Wordpress my chosen editor .

''In Twenty Eleven, we see the added support of the following HTML5 tags: <header>, <footer>, <aside>, <article>, and <time>, which can be styled using CSS, as Twenty Eleven also uses the html5shiv, a javascript library that adds the new HTML5 elements to the DOM for Firefox, Chrome, IE7+, and more.''

I.E is a browser which I don't use, hav'nt for years too many holes. All my sites are responsive sites in all browsers I check. There is an online checker for all browsers being responsive.

I guess we will wait for M$ to pull the plug which I don't for see anytime soon.

K