Windows Vista, a good thing, or ???

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by Calomaar, Apr 19, 2007.

1. desertflower

desertflower Seedling

I have a new laptop and it came with Vista. The biggest prob I have had is a lot of things are not compatable with this system and some things like my new camera don't have software for this version as of yet. Plus it had a lot of things running on startup that I had to dissable. But all in all I think I like it. What I don't like is our wireless internet...I think we need a faster/better modem or what ever it is.

2. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

EEK..........

Say a computer prayer for mine, it is XP and only 2 right now........If it goes on for 2 more , I win..

Ha ha
    thanks all....

Now a Question about virus protection.. My server carrys McAfee and Postini........I carry Norton for my web shoppin and photo sending.

I am hearing that the Sheild Deluxe is far better than Norton>>>>..ANy thoughts on that ?

Also does work with our regular computers, if were not wireless?

Thanks

b

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I'd try starting a new topic for this Barb as your question may get lost within this topic. It'll get more attention that way and we can continue to discuss strictly Vista here. Thanks.

4. Pianolady

Pianolady In Flower

We got free upgrades with our laptops that we bought right before Christmas, and didn't use them. We do a lot of gaming, and the changeover is supposedly a nightmare for gamers. We have a lot of older software we're very happy with, a wireless network set up using all XP, and didn't want to risk compatibility issues. I like things simple, and hate widgets of any kind, so Vista is not for me. I was pretty happy with my Linux system back when I was using that.

We plan to buy two more laptops for the kids this Christmas, and I'll be installing XP onto them instead of Vista. Vista requires a lot of memory, and many systems come with barely adequate resources to run Vista. Getting drivers that work with older peripherals isn't fun either. This is always the case with a new OS, but I don't see any benefits of having such a graphic-heavy system resource hog on my computer.

Advertisement
  5. beddecor

beddecor New Seed

I am pretty sure by know you now how to use Windows Vista. How do you like it Henry Johnson?

P.O

6. bradytimes

bradytimes New Seed

I bought a laptop with Vista last month and I've actually been pleasantly surprised. I wouldn't recommend upgrading an existing computer to Vista because it could cause hardware capability issues. But if you have the choice between XP and Vista for a new computer, I'd go with Vista.

7. bsewnsew

bsewnsew Hardy Maple

Vista.......has to be an improvement..........

I think it would almost have to be an improvement
    What make it worse , when it can be better?/ Any ways when we bought out xp computers, most of us got the printers free......
    So if one gets a new computer probably the printer wont be a rip off....I have one of my older computers running my scanner......Never changed it .
    windows 98......And the printer ....I wont give that one away......Old isnt always bad..

Thanks

b

8. nan1234

nan1234 Seedling

Well, after my HP crash, I ordered a Dell with Vista and then I decided that I have to get another Dell with XP. There are quite a few software applications that I use have compatiblilty issues with Vista and I still have to wait for the updates from some applications in order to make Vista computer to work smoothly.

I also find that retarting automatically is quite annoying because I never turn the computer off and there always some unfinished work left overnight. When I get my new computer, this is the first thing that I have to turn off (this is not a Vista only problem, though.)

The second thing is Vista only and I find it quite annoying too. It starts defragment hard drives automatically when the computer is idle. So you will hear the disk is very busy when the computer is actually at "rest". This is bad. Who wants disk defragment for a new computer? It will significantly shortens the life of your hard drive. Disable it in the scheduled task list.

9. marine683

marine683 Seedling

My thoughts in a nutshell:

XP is MUCH more stable simply because it has been out for so much longer - that's typical programming behavior.

Vista is going to be the future, may as well get to know it and not be afraid of it.

Vista has a lot of known issues working with Sound and Video Cards but Microsoft offers a lot of support for this.

If you plan on upgrading to Vista, you may have to upgrade your Video/Sound Card(s) as well - just a heads up.

10. nan1234

nan1234 Seedling

If you want Vista, buy a new computer with Vista. If your existing computer runs XP, better to staying with XP, otherwise, you may have quite a few software and hardware compatibility issues with upgrading to Vista. The worse, hardware makers may not provide any Vista solution for some old device models. For instance, if you have a GeForce 4800 video card, you'll have to replace it with a new one because nVidia does not provide Viista driver for that model. If you do not want to spend much for the old computer, say, you use a Geforce 7300, you'll be very disappointed because the performance of 7300 is much worse than your old 4800 card.

For a Vista computer, you need to get at least 2G memory. Vista uses memory aggressively - it's new memory allocation algorithm tries to use up all your memory in order to enhance the performance. It predicts what your are going to use and preload programs and data from disk. The average Vista laptop provides only 1G memeory and you'll find that your computer will quite often have zero free memory. Some Vista laptop has only 512MB memory - that is way way not enough.

Do not buy a Vista computer with integraded Intel's graphic accelerator. Most grapghic related problems (performance, quality, and reliability) are from this integrated video card. However, it is okay if you plan to use your computer just for some basic tasks (Vista Home Basic). But if you plan to use your computer for game, entertainment (media center), advanced graphic applications, buy a computer with a good graphich accelerator, for instance, Geforce 7900 or Radeon X1900.

With Vista computer, you'll probably have to upgrade some of your external device or its driver. For instance, you will have problem with wireless connection if your wireless router is old. You have to either buy a new one or download and install Vista dirver. Vista has a more strict measure for security. If you do not enable the encryption for wireless connection, you'll not be able to use the Internet even your wireless network get connected. I have spent quite a bit of time in figuring this out for my daughter's new Vista laptop.

You'll probably have to upgrade your software applications too. Adobe does not provide free Vista upgrade. You'll have to buy the new version. Though most of the old versions of applications can run on Vista fairly well, you'll not be comfortable if there is occasionally a crash.